Look what I get to do this weekend

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Look what I get to do...this weekend, maybe the next, and next... ??

Been experiencing issues with my SawStop, so after days and a millions hours of troubleshooting later, SS & I have narrowed the issue down to the brake cartridge ribbon cable.

PXL_20210521_212741931.MP~2.jpg

No clue that that sort of thing existed for my saw, but from what they told me, I should have a lot of "fun" replacing it.

1 suggestion, from SS, was to; "remove the cast iron table top, because it'll make the job easier." That's like saying to me, "just remove the skull cap, it'll make the surgery that much easier."

Since I had them throwing parts at me (2 new brakes), so they wouldn't have to pay someone to come out and replace the cable, I figured I'd hit them up for a new hydraulic jack, too. Mine was leaking, and they agreed that I needed a replacement, so yay me!

Well, new parts finally arrived, but I'm a little confused. I thought I told them that my jack was leaking.

PXL_20210521_212516412.MP~2.jpgPXL_20210521_212519758.MP~2.jpg
Why is the replacement already leaking? Am I supposed to do something to it, so that it doesn't leak??

Just curious...since I've never had to do any warranty service with SawStop before... Is this how they usually handle warranty work? The email/phone tech support was pretty good, but I'll tell ya. I've learned so much more about my saw over the last few weeks.

Grateful that the tech support was patient & very knowledgeable. Just hope I don't have to replace anymore parts.

Rory

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Years back when I was doing field warranty work for Powermatic and Delta, I talked to those people once about field work. At the time I hadn't seen a saw stop saw. I had just read about them. They conveyed that the complexity of their machine was such that significant training would be necessary and that would be on my dime. I let it go and am glad I did. It was at a time when Asian-made machines showing up in schools and industry. Over the next few years I visited customers that had the saw stop saws and were having problems. I had to explain that because of liability, I couldn't touch the things. There were a lot of electrical problems that stopped the machines from being used. I suspect that its cheaper for saw stop to throw parts at a customer rather than have a field warranty person.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Years back when I was doing field warranty work for Powermatic and Delta, I talked to those people once about field work. At the time I hadn't seen a saw stop saw. I had just read about them. They conveyed that the complexity of their machine was such that significant training would be necessary and that would be on my dime. I let it go and am glad I did. It was at a time when Asian-made machines showing up in schools and industry. Over the next few years I visited customers that had the saw stop saws and were having problems. I had to explain that because of liability, I couldn't touch the things. There were a lot of electrical problems that stopped the machines from being used. I suspect that its cheaper for saw stop to throw parts at a customer rather than have a field warranty person.

Once I replace this cable, I'm just hoping they worked those electrical bugs out of their machines.

I don't want to deal with this issue, or another issue, down the road. Spending what one spends, on their saws, they should be perfect and free of any flaw..or very close to it.

2 diff techs said.. "if we can't get it fixed, reasonably soon, we'll take the machine back and send you out a new one." Why not just give me a new saw now?

The issue I have is, who is to say I'll replace the cable "perfectly?" From the look of things, it's not only in an area that's almost impossible to get to, it's also a labor intensive ordeal, at least, that's what they made it sound like.

Regardless. After this 1 issue, I'm really on the fence about things.

Who is free this weekend? I'll smoke a few slabs of ribs, so when we are done replacing parts, they'll be ready.

Rory

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
For the price, they should have someone there doing the work, suppose you didnt have time or the ability?. Then what?.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know it is Saturday and you want your saw back but I would not touch it, not even open the inner box, until you send the pictures back to SS support and ask them what to do with damaged parts that you just received. I would then tell them you are not able or comfortable to do the cable replacement and ask them to send a tech or a replacement saw.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I know it is Saturday and you want your saw back but I would not touch it, not even open the inner box, until you send the pictures back to SS support and ask them what to do with damaged parts that you just received. I would then tell them you are not able or comfortable to do the cable replacement and ask them to send a tech or a replacement saw.

I bought my saw, and had it delivered May 12, 2020 <--
Unfortunately, it had to sit until recently. May 2nd, 2021, the electrician came and installed the sub-panel, etc., then I went to start it, and more sadness. :'(

You are right.. I really want my saw up and running. :(
In case someone is interested in a good Saturday morning read, I'm attaching the pdf SS sent me, on how to go about replacing the ribbon cable.

I'll give this 1 try and if it is too big of a job for me... I'll reach back out to SS and tell them I want a tech or a brand new saw. Since they know the ins & outs of their saw, they should be able to quickly replace the cable. Tired of the back & forth, especially with my 3-day weekend coming up.

Attachments

• Cable_-_SP-PCS-190703-02____Steps_to_replace_PCS_cartridge_cable.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 405

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Did a quick search for "SawStop replacing/replacement Cartridge Cable" & came across the following...

and this: SawStop Arbor Replacement

After reading the above...I am starting to feel much more confident.. in my saw. :rolleyes:

This saw is quickly becoming a German automobile...

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Update:

Replaced the cable, with the help of another forum member, and my saw is still out of commission.

I want to say it took us 3hrs. Not bad, but definitely not a walk in the park.

Still fed up with SS and you better believe they'll get an earful come Monday.

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Update:

Replaced the cable, with the help of another forum member, and my saw is still out of commission.

I want to say it took us 3hrs. Not bad, but definitely not a walk in the park.

Still fed up with SS and you better believe they'll get an earful come Monday.
Shoot I thought I was having a bad weekend, Wife showed me drawer design she wanted for the new kitchen. Spent the week making all new cupboard doors and drawer faces, go to install and hates the drawers! 18 pack of budwieser's purchased and out to the shop I go again to make something else

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
** UPDATE **

On the phone with SawStop, as I'm writing this, and they want me to replace the arbor block!!!!

Attachments

• Arbor_-_SP-PCS-190703-02___Replacing_PCS_Arbor_Block.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 184

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS