Look for Cedar, or something like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
I am looking for some 6/4 Cedar, or something that will withstand the weather. I am going to build some outdoor furniture. As I am still learning about the woodworking world what is a fair price?

Advice is appreciated.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I would think Cypress would be a good choice for your location. Click on "Woodworking in NC" on the brown section at the top of the page you're looking at right now. There are multiple supplier choices near you.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As Mark said, Cypress would be a good choice. When you look for Sawyers in the "Woodworking in NC" section, look for Ivey Pridgen in Burgaw, NC. He's listed as Beaver Branch Portable Sawmill. I think he usually has Cypress, and he's pretty close to you.

Bill

Jeff

New User
Jeff
+5 on Cypress. It's a pleasure to work with it. Ivey's place is only about 54 miles from your area. :icon_cheers

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Alex,

As others have said, Cypress is a good choice for outdoor furniture and not very expensive. I have bought lots of Cypress from Ivey. He is a good guy and has nice wood and cut it about any way you want it.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Alex, I can tell you from building many Adirondacks, swings, rockers, gliders, etc. that cypress is much easier to work and more forgiving than ERC. Won't split nearly as easy, 15-20% moisture is OK for outdoor stuff, and you won't hurt your wallet!

I've bought several thousand feet of great cypress from Ivy. He'll cheat, er, treat you right!! :rotflm:

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
I am looking for some 6/4 Cedar, or something that will withstand the weather. I am going to build some outdoor furniture. As I am still learning about the woodworking world what is a fair price?

Advice is appreciated.

We have 4/4, 5/4 and 8/4 cypress at The Hardwood Store of NC and I happen to be heading that way Friday. Let me know if I can bring you some.

Cheryl

www.hardwoodstore.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS