Long tow straps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
My dad has me looking for some 100' long 2" tow/load straps and I've struck out locally and had limited luck finding any that length online. Anyone know any local or good online sources that might have or make them? We're looking for something with loops at both ends, not hooks, and don't stretch, that can be used to drag/pull a millstone that weighs probably around 1000-1500lbs out of an area that isn't accessible by tractor due to trees and ground conditions. I haven't been to look at the location myself so I'm not sure what he has in mind as far as extracting them, but I know we can't cut down enough trees to get the tractor closer to it since they're not all on our land.

It seems 30' is the max I can readily locate similar to these. Can I get by with just getting 4 or 5 of the 30' ones and looping them together or am I asking for trouble doing that? Would wider straps allow me to loop shorter ones together to get 100'? Any recommendations or sources would be appreciated.

Mods, feel free to move to DIY or Off Topic if more appropriate.

TIA,
Brian

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Brian,

When I was in the collector car business, I bought all of my tie-down straps, etc. from M&R Products. I was always satisfied with the quality and value. If they don't have what you want in their catalog, they will make it for you.

http://www.mrproducts.com/

bobby g

mtnfyre

New User
Bradley
they make there own straps.

very good company to work with.
I have used there straps to lift cast iron 18'' pipe and had no problem

American Cable & Rigging Supply

Address: 24 Sterling Pl
Mills River, NC,
Business Activity: Manufacturer / Distributor / Service

Phone: 828-654-8000
Toll Free: 800-542-3961

Fax: 828-654-8010

BSHuff

New User
Brian
Might be a stupid question and something to think about, but once you use this long strap for this one job, what good will it be for you later? Would you be better served by having 4 ~30 footers later? Link them together now, have shorter ones later? I have seen tow straps connected together by putting the tails through the eyes and linking them that way.

Maybe find someone with a winch?

cpw

New User
Charles
If the straps don't pan out you may want to look into getting some heavy duty rope like arborists and loggers use.
I bought a remnant of some Samson rigging line from WesSpur a couple of years ago but I haven't gotten to use it much yet.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
What about using cable instead of straps? Like the cable you use in a winch. You can get that at the HD or Lowes.

And speaking of a winch. :wink_smil

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Personally I like good ole fashion logging chain better, you can always hook shorter lengths together to get the footage needed. But then again even shorter lengths are tough to wrestle with at times

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Why don't you buy the appropriate-sized tow-strap or lifting sling and use a chain or cable to get the distance you need ?

IIRC, 1500# is within the working load limit of typical 5/16" steel cable.

-Mark

Sully

New User
jay
If you decide to go with multiple straps I would recommend connecting them end-to-end with shackles rather than looping them through one another. The problem with looping them is that if they get pulled together really tight, it can be a pain in the butt to get them back apart.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
how far dose it have to be moved? and how inassesable is it? would a compact tractor be able to get closer? how about a four wheeler with a winch? this sounds like an intresting project. i might be will to help out for a bag of corn meal.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
how about a shorter cable and a decent come-along? I remember moving a lot of stuff with my dad and a come-along as a kid.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Do you know any local 4wheelers that have a winch on their vehicle? Most winches have at least 100' of cable. Then beg/borrow/steal a couple of tow chains/long straps to make it as long as you need it.
The winch won't even know it has the 1500# load on it.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the replies and there are quite few good suggestions. I was personally leaning towards connecting several shorter straps together for the reasons stated but was afraid that someone was going to come along and inform me that it was a bad idea for one reason or the other. I was mainly concerned that looping together would lower their load ratings.

@Jay, good idea on using shackles to connect them since there are probably several laying around the farm. I was concerned about getting them apart when done just for the reason you stated.

@Mark, I can't say how hard it is to get to since I haven't yet gone to look myself yet and haven't been in that area for probably 20 years so I'm sure it's probably changed since then. As for how far it has to go.... He says it's about 75-80' inside the wood line buried in the mud on the side of the mill run, once out of the woods it has to go about 2 miles on the tractor or trailer to his house, and ultimately it has to make a 2 hr road trip to Raleighwood. I'm hoping it will fit on it's side in the bed of my truck and if not I guess I'll have to rig up something to support it upright for the drive.

He's got a winch that was bought with the intention of installing on a toolbar behind a compact tractor several years ago for the specific purpose of retrieving a much smaller mill stone. He never ended up needing it since the area where that one was dried up so much due to lack of rain that he was able to get close enough with the tractor to get it. So I think his plan is to finally mount the winch and use it, but not sure how much cable is on it or what it's load rating is since the other stone he got was much smaller and I believe less than 300-400lbs. We've probably still got lots of chain laying around, but not enough to piece together for that length. Cable may be a good option as well and I'll have to start looking around at prices.

I'm really just speculating at this point and wanted to bounce it around with some folks that might have more experience as to options until I get down there in the next couple of weeks and look at it for myself. Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments.

I too know all about getting to tag along to move heavy stuff from my younger days on the farm!!! :gar-La;

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors