Long time woodworker

Skip49

New User
Skip
Have been doing woodworking for over 20 years and glad I found this site - looks really great. Have made mostly furniture for our home, from small tables benches to dining room set. Have sold some pieces but vast majority for our home and friends.
Former math teacher, information technology, project manager and recently retired. After leaving teaching still tutored and posted on a blog I had answers to questions from woodworkers who sent me math related questions to their projects.
Looking forward to people and information on this site.

Skip49

New User
Skip
One example of a question I would receive is someone would send me information about an arc they want to make. Would give me the width and height of the arc then they would want to know the center and radius of the arc.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
One example of a question I would receive is someone would send me information about an arc they want to make. Would give me the width and height of the arc then they would want to know the center and radius of the arc.
Is that something like a chord?

This is something I never could understand.

The chord radius formula when length and height of the chord are given is

R= L² / 8h + h/2

In the above chord radius formula,

R is the radius of a circle

L is the length of the chord

h is the height of th chord

Last edited:

Skip49

New User
Skip
Is that something like a chord?

This is something I never could understand.

The chord radius formula when length and height of the chord are given is

R= L² / 8h + h/2

In the above chord radius formula,

R is the radius of a circle

L is the length of the chord

h is the height of th chord
Yes we are talking abour a chord. Your formula is correct. Here is a link to an online calculator for radius, length of arc and angle.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wow! Thanks. That calculator is exactly what I need. I’m terrible at math. I get the concept but I can’t put the numbers in the right place in the formulas. My brain just doesn’t work that way.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS