Long Term Update On College

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I have been a member of NCWW for two years now, and it has become a valuable resource. I joined at the same time I moved to the mountains and established my company--Wiley's Woodworks. Shortly after I joined I mentioned that I was going to take a woodworking course, and several members asked me to update as I progressed. Interim steps didn't work for me, but now the journey is completed.

I have graduated cum laude from Haywood Community College in Clyde, NC with an Associate's Degree in Professional Crafts--Wood. I am proud of myself for earning a college degree at 71 years old. The entire experience was sort of like going into the Army: I'm glad I did it, it was good for me, and there's no way I would do it again.

It is impossible to mention all the benefits, knowledge, and experiences I gained from sticking with the program until I graduated. Believe me, I thought about quitting many times. Teaching an old dog new tricks is tough, especially when you're the dog. The technology side of the curriculum was especially tough for a grizzled old business owner who achieved my success the old way in the last millennium. I still marvel at getting through.

The HCC curriculum may be unique among woodworking programs of all types because it gives equal weight to woodworking skills and the business side of being a self-supporting craftsman. My characterization of the HCC program is it teaches you how to make high quality, fine furniture and gives you a fighting chance at making a living at it. In today's economic world making a living as a craftsman or artist is an odds-against proposition, in my humble, realistic, now educated opinion. To believe you have a fighting chance of succeeding is priceless.

I learned the woodworking skills to design and make fine furniture. I have the confidence to make the decision on whether or not to take on any project and the ability to do every stage of taking an idea in my head and making a piece of furniture that someone will appreciate and value because of what I put into it. I made 12 different items; I'll tell you how to view them in a few more paragraphs.

On the business side of the curriculum, over two years I wrote or developed:
  • A pricing schedule and system for placing a retail price on my time and skilled craftsmanship.
  • A comprehensive, in-depth marketing plan that gives me focus and direction on where to take my business and how to select distribution channels and sales methods to generate revenue. This plan is ready to present to both lenders and investors in order to raise capital if need be.
  • A Craftsman's Statement that tells a story about why I do what I do.
  • A Biography that establishes my credentials as a skillful woodworker.
  • Point of sale collateral materials for exhibitions and gallery showings of my work.
  • An "elevator pitch" that quickly and succinctly tells someone what I do and starts a conversation.
  • A speech that informs and tantalizes the audience with the joys and satisfactions of making things with my hands for the purpose of satisfying a customer.
  • A business plan that set a structure for my business, organized my woodworking shop, budgeted from start-up to self-sustaining, accounts for the seasonality of my chosen market area, and significantly reduced going off in ten directions at once down to two growth strategies on which I will concentrate my efforts.
  • A company image and marketing package that is comprehensive, uniform, friendly and inviting to potential customers.
  • A catalog that tells consumers everything they need to know to make buying decisions on my works. I am now selling products sight unseen by the buyer just by showing them my catalog.
  • A company website, wileyswoodworks.com , that is fully functional and goes a long way towards establishing credibility in the marketplace, and that I can update, maintain, and expand on my own.
If you made it this far I invite you to visit my website and see for yourself. The "Catalog" tab displays all of the pieces I made during the two years. It also tells a short story about me so the consumer has an opportunity to make a connection with the maker. I learned through school that this connection between the artist and the customer is essential in the crafts industry. I look forward to everyone's feedback.

jpaul

New User
John
Having graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering at 49, I highly commend you for going to school and doing so well at it.
You do nice work, you learned well.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congratulations, Wiley! I did not start my higher education until after I had retired from the US Army. Like you, I am glad I did it but, I wouldn't do it again.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Congratulations on your degree and your excellent website -- nice work! Once this phase of social isolation is over, we'd love to have you come share your story with fellow woodworkers at one of our meetings of the Western NC Woodworkers Association at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop in Fletcher, south of Asheville.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Congrats! Great accomplishment, and you leave me jealous.

I appreciate that the program puts focus on the business side. Having spent a long time around crafts people and their markets I've come to the conclusion that it's not a marathon, it's a triathalon. Technique, design and business are the 3 legs.

Any of the legs would be exhausting. All require different skills and muscle groups. Successfully completing 1 is an accomplishment, 2 is amazing, and all 3 is pretty rare company.

I've seen shows and works by Haywood graduates that show at least the technique is there. Hope that you fill out the others.

I tried to follow your link, wanted to let you know I couldn't navigate or find your catalogue. Maybe because it's on my phone, maybe because it's not intuitive to find, or maybe it's because I'm also an old dog trying to learn tricks.
Mike

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Congratulations Wiley. That's a big accomplishment at 72 years old.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 10.32.43 AM.png

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Congratulations on graduating! Very, very impressive. And I'm really encouraged there are programs that cover both woodworking and woodworking as a business. Thanks for sharing your story.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Congrats!! A quick review of your site reveals some nice work. Good luck on continuing your journey. Your new "career" will continue to provide opportunities to learn and grow. There are so many different aspects to grow into and enjoy for a lifetime.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
This is an awesome accomplishment for anyone at any age, congratulations on a job well done! Also, thank you for bringing the details of this program to our attention. I am sure that many aspiring woodworking enterprises fail, not because of the lack of craftsmanship but the lack of business know-how! Thanks for sharing!

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
@Wiley's Woodworks - I would love to learn about the business training aspects as I believe we should share that knowledge with the rest of our members as they endeavor to run businesses. Would you be interested in sharing through a video or in an article?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS