Long Sweep 90 Elbows for 2729 Pipe Dust Collection

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
I've long thought I could not find long sweep 90-degree elbows in SRD-35 fittings to use with 6" thin wall D2729 pipe. Well, now I've figured out a solution.

Long sweep 90-degree elbows are available in Schedule 40, but the diameter of the hubs is larger than SRD35/D2729 dimensions. However, you can retrofit to make them work.

The bell end of a straight section of D2729 6" pipe will almost exactly fit into the 6" Schedule 40 hub. So, cut the bell ends and make bushings with them as shown in the photos below. The fit will be loose, but when all is connected, a bit of silicone caulk will seal it all. To deal with the slop to the fit, I used screws through the 90-degree elbow's hub wall and into the "bushings" using 1/2" sheet metal screws. And then ground off the protruding end of the screw.

Long Sweep 90.png

D2929.png

D2729 Bell End.png

Bushing in Hub.png

Bushing in Hub2.png

Hub screws.png

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Yes, connected 45s are used and recommended by many. But, the long sweep 90 will have less friction than two 45s connected together. Even the 1.5R 90s will have less friction than two 45s. For a longer discussion of all this, search through the Australian Woodworkers Forum.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
The K factor in 2-45s is not enough to worry about. Bend in pipe friction with dust will be small even with chips. What is more essential is how many inches of water does it draw. That is the true measue of how well most of these systems will perform.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Sorry, but I can't agree with you that inches of water is the measure. That may be true for shop vacs, but dust collection systems such as ones using 6" pipe depend on high air flow, not high suction.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
No will disagree on this - CFM is one measure but if the draw is not strong (inches) then cfm will not be as effective, there are other factors but for most here their dust systems are simplistic.

Without getting wonky Brunelli principle shows why.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Not knowing anything about the properties of PVC, is it possible to heat it up and bend it to a 90 degree shape?

Roy G

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Not knowing anything about the properties of PVC, is it possible to heat it up and bend it to a 90 degree shape?
Not in this diameter, unless you have specialized equipment. The PVC will deform, collapse and wrinkle as you try to bend it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Whoa, cowboys- I hate to say this but there is a lot of bad or misleading info in this thread, e.g.

The K factor in 2-45s is not enough to worry about. Bend in pipe friction with dust will be small even with chips.

All sources of static pressure are important because they are cumulative. A single, long sweep bend is always better (generates less static pressure) than two 45's, for two reasons- the radius of two 45's (of PVC in sizes commonly available) is less than most long sweep bends and the extra joint where the two 45's meet generates turbulence and even more static pressure (resistance to flow).

What is more essential is how many inches of water does it draw. That is the true measure of how well most of these systems will perform.

No, no, no- what do you mean by "these systems"? Dust collection systems are designed to capture large volumes of dust laden air at the source- that requires high CFM. Obviously static pressure is also required to overcome resistance in the ducting, but not at the expense of CFM. Look at the point on the fan curve where any decent DC operates best- it isn't where the static pressure is highest! It falls somewhere in the middle section. Don't confuse a dust collector with a vacuum!!! They are very different animals with different physics and engineering.

No will disagree on this - CFM is one measure but if the draw is not strong (inches) then cfm will not be as effective, there are other factors but for most here their dust systems are simplistic.

Without getting wonky Brunelli principle shows why.

Since, in the case of dust collection, air behaves like an incompressible gas, Bernoulli's equation is valid, but not the way you are implying. You might want to re-read your fluid dynamics text. Dust collectors don't need high SP because the dust and chips are typically light and the CFM is high (volume & velocity are high). Shopvacs need high SP (draw?) (typically > 5 to 10 times what a DC generates) because they must draw through small diameter hoses and wands (typically less than 2-1/4" in diam.) so must overcome very high resistance and because they are only designed to pick up stationary dust from a very small surface area. Try it yourself- move a shopvac nozzle 2" or so away from a pile of dust and see what happens- nothing is picked up. Then thow the dust in the air and see how much of it you can get with a shopvac hose- not much and almost nil compared to what a DC with 6" hose will get!!!!

Shop vacs tend to have higher air flow than DC systems. That's the design of a shop vac.

No, no, no- you are confusing air flow with static pressure (or suction if you want to use a lay term). A typical shopvac operates at 45-60 in. of water static pressure and 115-130 CFM. Good if you want to pick up a bowling ball but really terrible if you need to capture airborne dust!!! A typical dust collector operates at 7 - 10 in. of water static pressure, however, depending on the model and duct system, will move anywhere from 800 - 1500 CFM. A DC has much higher air flow which what is needed to capture dust!

Sorry, guys, you might want to listen to Rush!

Rush, nice idea for long sweep elbows. I suspect you can use your technique for any amount of bend, too.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Is the inside joint smooth? A sharp edge can reduce the effective size by over 7%. Of course, there is long sweep, and the really long sweep that can cost several hundred.

Now, we talk SP and CFM, but ignore the end terminations. Square flanges reduce the flow quite a bit.

In many cases, the machine is not capable of supplying enough flow into the DC, so SP goes up, but CFM goes down. What is needed for each tool is different. We have to look at every tool, intake, and fitting with a broad scope. Look at the airflow in each tool. Some are comical. Most, poor at best.

Rush, your face vise is not recessed! :)

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I think Rushton has the principles straight. Why can't you get fittings sized for SD? I found them easily. Use wye's instead of sanitary T's - much cheaper!

Get a big enough unit, do an efficient layout & you don't need to worry about the nuances. ;)

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Why can't you get fittings sized for SD? I found them easily.
Long sweep 90s simply are not manufactured for 6" SD pipe (SRD35/D2729), at least I've never been able to find anyone who knows of a source and I've looked for over three years across two different shop installations. The closest I've been able to find are 1.5R elbows manufactured by Normandy Products. What I've shown in my picture above is a 2R radius elbow and this radius appears only to be made in Schedule 40. Wyes and 45s are usually easy to find, as you point out.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I think Rushton has the principles straight. Why can't you get fittings sized for SD? I found them easily. Use wye's instead of sanitary T's - much cheaper!

Get a big enough unit, do an efficient layout & you don't need to worry about the nuances. ;)
A lot to be said for a bigger hammer. :p

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

6" couplings, wyes, caps, and tight radius bends are widely available in ASTM D2729 (fittings may also be marked ASTM D3034, D3035, and are sometimes made from other plastics besides PVC). The fittings can even be found at the Borg (though often not in the plumbing section!) even though they don't carry the matching 6" pipe!!

Unfortunately, PVC pipe manufacturers do not make long sweep elbows in ASTM D2729, the PVC pipe of choice for dust collection system ducting. In fact, ASTM D2729 thin-wall PVC pipe, also known as solid perf, sewer and drain, and S&D, can itself can be very difficult to find in 6" diam. I got mine from a landscape supply company. SDR 35 (ASTM 3034), the blue/green stuff at the Borg, also called S&D, has the same OD as ASTM 2729 so can use the same size fittings, but it has a thicker wall (and smaller I.D) and is much heavier and typically more expensive. Neither are the same size as standard Sched 40 PVC. ASTM D2729 is mostly used for moving water in gravity drains and irrigation where SP is of no concern, so there is no demand for long sweep elbows. I have never seen or looked for it, but if (a BIG IF) gray PVC electrical conduit is available in 6" diam., it is possible long sweep elbows might be available like they are in smaller diam. PVC electrical conduit- I used that for the 2" piping in the shopvac ducting I use to collect dust from small power tools (ROS, biscuit joiner, router, IBOX, etc.), hollow chisel mortiser and mitersaw blade guard. If available it would likely be very pricey, however.

index.php

index.php

Last edited:

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Really nice set up for your portable and small power tools, Alan! Thanks for sharing. I really like your use of the mini-cyclone installation at the beginning of this piping run.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
This photo shows the shopvac in the cabinet. I never got around to lining the cabinet and door with sound deadening material, but just having it there really reduces the noise. Before one of the WW mags (AWW?) would publish my installation I had to run a temperature check- it never got much over 100° F so they published a brief article with a photo or two. Unlike a DC blower, the air passing through most shopvacs cools the motor. The cabinet has an exhaust at the lower right.

index.php

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY! Dust collection threads can get as much disagreement as SawStop. The best answer to all of this can be found in
This little book.
DC Basics Woodstock W1050.png

Pop

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
The problem with designing a DIY dust control system is it starts with, "I have a 2 HP DC and now I need to design a system". Wrong, design the ductwork and that will determine what size (CFM) blower is required.
I have a dedicated 3HP blower on my planer. Dedicated 2HP on table saw. Dedicated 2HP on radial arm saw. (2) 2HP dedicated on lathe. (1) 2HP that collects from edge sander, drum sander, 20" disc sander, 12" jointer, shaper and router table by duct work with slide gates. I have (7) 6HP (Yeah, right, Lol) vacuums under the shop connected to (2) bandsaws, drill press, 9"disc, 6"x48" belt sander, workbench, etc. Some machines require high static pressure to collect dust. Some require high air volume (CFM)
When laying out my shop I designed a system to control all of the above without any slide gates and it would require a 15HP blower. It didn't make any sense to turn on a 15HP blower to collect dust from a 1/2HP bandsaw. A vacuum works great.
If I did all the above using 1 blower with slide gates in the system I would use a minimum of 5HP. Then you don't need to worry about friction lose, elbows, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

The last dust control system I did was in Muscatine, IA. There were over 80 pick up points with no slide gates. The final system consisted of a dust collector (baghouse) with (144) 100" long bags for a total of 1829 sq.ft. of cloth area ($108K). A 100HP blower that moves 18,000 CFM of air @ 3-3.5"WC . Around $250K for completed system. This type of system is where you need to design using friction loss, etc. There is a big difference in operational costs of a 100HP blower vs 150HP.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS