Logs from Hawaii to North Carolina ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

My Marine son who is stationed in Hawaii, thinking of his dad back here in North Carolina has secured some logs that were cut by the power company and left to rot. How do I go about getting logs from Hawaii to North Carolina? any insight would help. I'm concerned that shipping may make this log deal cost prohibitive.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeff, I moved your thread to a more appropriate Forum.
I think that the shipping, if it could be pulled off, would make them cost prohibitive. Hawaii is very particular about what enters and leaves it's islands. If the logs could be got off the island the freight probably wouldn't make it worth it. What kind of wood is it???

Dave:)

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Not sure can still ship cars and household goods aboard US Navy ship, space available from overseas ports anymore.

There was a MCO which covered that topic, have no way of knowing still exist. Just remember, some one had to be at port of destination when stuff arrived.

Folks in admin could tell your son correct MCO, and if logs qualify as household goods.

If possible might have to drive to CA for pick up, real lucky logs would end up at Norfolk.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I believe the customs guys would slam this to prevent invasive species coming into the united states.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I believe the customs guys would slam this to prevent invasive species coming into the united states.

I thought hawaii WAS a state.:rolf: we sure dont want to let the dreaded luau worm here!!! :rolf: You may be correct kyle. Some species cant even be brought accross state borders. :eusa_thin

fred p

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I thought hawaii WAS a state.:rolf: we sure dont want to let the dreaded luau worm here!!! :rolf: You may be correct kyle. Some species cant even be brought accross state borders. :eusa_thin

fred p

Even here in NC you cant transport heavy earth moving equipment with out a permit due to fire ants..

http://www.ncagr.com/paffairs/articles/2003/2-03fireant.htm

T

here is some info..

http://hawaiiplants.com/importfaq.htm

EXPORTING FROM HAWAII

By meeting the destination's requirements, island exporters can promote and sell Hawaii's agricultural products to new markets without delays or rejections.

Each state or foreign country has its own regulations concerning the importation of agricultural commodities in order to protect that state's or country's important agricultural crops or natural resources.

Hawaii Department of Agriculture's (HDOA) Plant Quarantine Branch regulates the export of nursery products (propagative plants) to the mainland U.S. and certain foreign countries by certifying that the shipment meets the requirements of the state or country of destination.

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulates the export of cut-flowers, foliage and fruits from Hawaii to the mainland U.S. and propagative plants to foreign countries. Anyone who has traveled to the mainland is familiar with the mandatory USDA baggage inspection at the airports for agricultural materials.

HDOA Plant Quarantine inspectors, in cooperation with USDA inspectors, are able to inspect and certify plant materials intended for shipment to the mainland U.S. See Chapter 4-73, Plant Export Rules, for more information. Copies of the rules can be found at the Hawaii State libraries.

Exporters of plant materials and produce should contact their nearest USDA or HDOA Plant Quarantine Office for the inspection requirements of their products. By complying with the regulations, the inspection process can be expedited resulting in a fresher quality product reaching its destination.

Green coffee beans and used coffee bags require permit and certificate of treatment. Plants and seeds for propagation require permit and quarantine.

Plants and propagative parts require permit and certificate of origin. Some require quarantine. Seeds and deflasked plantlets are unrestricted.

Plants from the mainland U.S. and some foreign countries are not allowed. Plants and seeds from allowable foreign areas require certificate of origin.

Nursery Certification Programs: HDOA's Plant Quarantine Branch has programs for qualified nurseries to self-certify their potted plants under a Burrowing Nematode Certification Program and an Orchid Nursery Certification Program.

California-Hawaii Origin Inspection Program: This program allows cut-flowers and foliage to be shipped to the State of California through self-certification by certified growers/shippers under a 3-party agreement.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
If those logs sitting aboard MCAS Kaneohe, you can bet termites a big problem.

Hawaii has those termites that have nest going 30 to 40 feet underground.

A call to Matson terminal, on leeward side, folks there could give you straight scoop on shipping logs.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Those termites (formosan) would put the logs immediately in quarantine which costs big bucks.

J

jeff...

I kinda suspected it may be cost prohibitive but man would it be cool to saw a few Hawaii logs wouldn't it?

lottathought

New User
Michael
Stupid question....
What kind of wood is it?

And maybe a third option can present itself..
Perhaps...instead of entire logs, a few, smaller pieces..say suitable for pens, bowls, other smaller items could be shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS