Loggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I love old pictures like this... Look at the size and quantity of those saw logs :eek: Considering almost everything this side of the Mississippi has been logged twice since the turn of the century. You just don't find saw logs like the ones pictured very much anymore.

Loggers.jpg

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Reminds me of me when I was a young fella out gettin the morn fire wood.:gar-La;:gar-La; I'd like ta know how in @#$ they got them logs up there,:help: then kept from fallin of before they tied em down. :dontknow:DANG them were some tough suckers back then.:eek:ccasion1

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Fred, it would have been better if I wouldn't have lost my chains and pulleys. But we managed to get it done nonetheless. Just image how much easier it would have been with perfect logs like in that old picture. Heck I don't even see any taper in those logs... (drool)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Where the heck do they get horses that a pair can pull that sled load????

aww shucks the horses were just for the picture.... the men standing there beside them logs were there to pull the sled!:rotflm:
Jeff? can you imagine the prime lumber you could get from logs like that? those days is long gone buddy..... it's a shame too.:gar-Cr

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Here's couple more I ran across on the internet. (Cough) don't let that "sapling" these two bucks are leaning up against fool you, look to the right.

loggers1.jpg

and say it... Black Walnut

loggers_BW.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I tell you what, I work hard for a living. But when I see pictures like that, it makes me feel like I've never worked a day in my life. That is hardcore right there. Thanks for sharing Jeff. Where were these taken? If you find anymore, post away.

I'm thinking they stacked a few layers and roped them off really well, then repeated, making for a more sturdy surface. I'm betting the horses did most of the work on that, but I that is just a guess. :eusa_thin

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Here's a couple 9' diameter logs, just to put this into perspective a 9' diameter (small end) log that's 32' long (like the one pictured) will saw out around 20,000 board feet :eek: That's enough to fill Scott's kiln 5 times :gar-La;

another_9-fter.jpg

Look at the quality of this Red Oak, man what it must have been like to be a sawyer back in the day...
9-ft-diameter_red_oak.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS