Locust Burl

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
This is a bowl turned by one of my 9th grade students. The only thing I helped him on this bowl was the finish. It is around 9" in dia. by 5" high. It is turned from a locust burl he found.
Jack
100_0784-copy.jpg

100_0785-copy.jpg

100_0787-copy.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow outstanding. I wish I had your class while I was in HS, maybe I wouldn't suck so bad now.
How often do your students get to work on their pieces?
Is it mainly during school hours, or do they do some after hours work?

Dave:)

Rod

New User
Rod
Wow. That's a nice bowl! I have always loved the lines in locust. I think it's a fine wood to work with for all kinds of projects. Recently I cut approx 4000 bf of it. Most of it is 6X6, but some is 2" stuff...perfect for a project or two. Then there's the "waste", which I haven't even dug through yet. I hope to get a few bowl blanks out of it. They won't be as pretty as what's in the pics though.

Bless you for what you do for those children. I wish I had the opportunity to learn skills like that when I was young.
Rod

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks everyone,
This student is one of my best. He actually got his family to buy him a 14" swing Jet lathe to use at his house. It is set up on a porch at his home. When turning wet wood this winter ice formed on every thing he said. He rough turned this bowl at home brought it to school where it dried and he returned it at school and sanded it. I put the finish on for him and that was it. DaveO, we have 90 minute classes and about 75% of the time is spent in the shop.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS