Lock Miter Bit opinions, good/bad?

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
I've been woodworking for almost 30 years but I have never tried a lock miter bit. A friend wants me to build a shadow box to hang on the wall. I thought that it might be time to try out a lock miter joint for the corners. They are fairly pricey, starting out around $75. What is the general consensus on the lock miter? Do they work well and make a strong joint?

This shadow box will be 6" deep and some of the items sitting in it will have a little weight. So, I do need a strong joint.

lock miter.JPG

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I've got two of them. One if for wood up to 3/4" thick and the other one can handle up to 1 1/8". I've not thought about how much weight they can support since I used them in a joint that was vertical, not like your proposed horizontal joint. The joint has a lot more surface area than a regular miter joint, so i would suspect it to be stronger. One suggestion is to get a Lock Miter Jig. it makes setting up the cuts a lot easier, but not 100% fool proof. So have several pieces of scrap milled to the same size to make sure the router is set correctly before cutting the final joints.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
This shadow box will be 6" deep and some of the items sitting in it will have a little weight. So, I do need a strong joint.

You could use a simple miter joint with 2 cross grain splines at each corner which is also a strong miter joint. Much cheaper and less fussy to set up than a locked miter joint.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 9.49.57 AM.png

Last edited:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
IMO - Way too fussy to set up for occasional use. If you were making a bunch of the same item it might be worth it but for one or two items I don't think it's worth the time. As Jeff said, a miter joint with splines would be my choice.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
My personal solution would be to dovetail the box, with the visible edge mitered. If I make a chest of drawers I make the base this way-not that hard and gives you good dovetail practice.

Roy G

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have one I bought several years ago. Never figured out to make it work. I decided that as others in this post have said WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE. Mine is for sale if one of you folks out there wants to fiddle with it. $25.00 and it's yours.

Pop

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
After watching some videos on the lock miter joint, I am leaning against it. I like the idea of miter joint with splines. This was a good video that I found showing 4 different types.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
The Kehoe jig (Infinity tools makes something similar) makes strong and attractive miters using a sliding tapered dovetail spline. I'm not sure if he's still in business - the website is pretty old.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
might be fussy, but That is what I do for the urns, lock miters. Once you get it setup :}:}:} it is a great joint

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with Jack. I am lucky enough to have a shaper that I leave setup with an Amana lock miter. Works great - I never touch the adjustments

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
A hassle, but I did a cased sixty inch opening when I redid the family room years ago. Not much stress on the wood, but plenty on me!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I'm with the too fussy group, though when I used mine, It was with a free-hand router and jigs. I have kind of moved from machine joints to hand cut dovetails. More patience in my old age? Na. Now my router is mounted, maybe I should try it again. Anything to avoid biscuits.

Can't find it now, but last time I used mine I had a bit of the MDF I used with it set up so I used it as the jig. Things migrate when you move, so it may be in some strange box.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thanks Neal, for remembering the name, I sat here trying to remember and all I could recall was the Little part. He also invented the I-box jig. Haven't heard from him in quite awhile, but sure enjoyed his discourse on his inventions.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS