Location of wooden dowels

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am on a search mission for walnut dowels for my trestle tabletop. I found myself coming up short of time because I need them next week. I ordered my last ones from Rockler, I don't want to wait for a delivery. I remember a woodworking business off Hwy 1 just before the beltline, it was on the right in a shopping center. I don't remember the name and I don't know exactly how I got there also I don't know if they carry dowels. Also I need advice on what some of you would suggest for the size of these dowels. They are to be used for a 31" wide top that will be 80" long. TThere will be a breadboard 3" wide on both ends of the table with a 5" breadboard in the center, the dowels will be used to hold the breadboards to the table. Appreciate the help. I expect to need these dowels by the middle of next week. Lorraine

FYI, I come from the north on Interstate 85. I could also use 158 and get on Hwy 1. Give me good directions and I will go most anywhere. My husband will tell you that I am not very good on directions. I just happen to remember this one place near the beltline. I really would like to get back there if they have the dowels.

jglord

New User
John
Walnut dowels should be in stock at the Raleigh Woodcraft - call (919) 781-1911 to check.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sounds like you need a lathe. Turning your own dowels ensures that they are actually round and of the exact diameter you need.

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Lorraine if you end up in a pinch and can't find/get Walnut dowels, there is nothing wrong with using a contrasting wood in that application. I actually prefer a contrasting dowel for holding a breadboard end in place. You should be able to find Oak dowels at your local BORG.
Dave:)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I never thought of using a square peg, now that is an idea. Any thought on a good size for the size top I am making?

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I wanted to wait until the finished product before letting you guys know that I am using contrasting colors. The table legs are walnut and the rail is cherry. I am preparing the top with walnut while the breadboard will be cherry. I have 3" breadboard on both ends with a 5" breadboard in the middle. I want walnut for the dowels that will hold the top together. My benches I plan to make with all cherry. the hope is to have the table in the house by Christmas. I have a mortise machine so I could use squares instead of dowels however there is a problem. I normally assemble two pieces and cut for dowels with a forsner bit, take the two pieces apart, elongate the outer boards and glue up and drive the dowels in place. I have never made holes for square pegs. My mortise machine allows for 10", I believe I am correct but the table will become quite heavy as I go along. Is that application practicle in this situation? I can see laying the top upside down and drilling through from the underside and not going all the way through. That was probably going to be my plan.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
In the old days they sometimes drove square pegs in round holes for a very tight fit. But, I think that was mostly on timber framing where the finished appearance was not as important as the strength.

Mike,

Square pegs in round holes?

YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!!

Unless you wanna make great things...

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you have some scraps and a piece of steel that is 3/8 -1/2" thick, why not make your own? Dowel plates have been around for hundreds of years. Take a SHARPE bit the size you want your dowels, and drill a hole in the steel. Use a drill press for this operation. Make some pieces of square stock from scraps that are about the same size as desired dowels. Using a mallet, or hammer drive scraps through hole in steel. Instant dowels. Lee Valley now sells a dowel plate, but it isn't cheap.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Now Ken, that is a great idea, now to see if Ace Hardware has a nose bit. If not I found cherry dowels in my storage of scrap wood, only problem is walnut was my choice of wood, contrast you know, looks like there still maybe a trip to Durham in the plans. Lowes would have oak but there are not close enough on their fit. thanks guys. Lorraine
PS, yes there is a breadboard in the middle of the tabletop.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I am on a search mission for walnut dowels for my trestle tabletop. I expect to need these dowels by the middle of next week. Lorraine

FYI, I come from the north on Interstate 85. I could also use 158 and get on Hwy 1. Give me good directions and I will go most anywhere. My husband will tell you that I am not very good on directions. I just happen to remember this one place near the beltline. I really would like to get back there if they have the dowels.

Lorraine---------There are cutting tools available called "plug cutters". Woodcraft probably stocks them. They come in various sizes, some are in sets of four, some larger sets. You can make face grain or end grain "plugs" with them. I have one set that will cut about 1" long, the other set is able to cut nearly 2" lengths. You will need to do it on a drill press.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors