Local wide-belt sander in RTP area

Nscwoodcraft

New User
Nick
I’m looking for a local shop with a wide-belt sander that I could use for table tops between 36” and 40” wide. I do a lot of tables and it’s a real pain to sand perfectly flat w/a ROS. I can do it with all my Festool sanders, but a wide-belt would be quicker and more even. Want to find either a local shop or maybe a shared-space shop that would let me bring a table top down for a reasonable charge. I am in Cary, NC. I checked with Raleigh Reclaimed but they are asking for $3 dollars per BF... I can almost buy the lumber for that much! I’m hoping more like $30-50 just to run it through 2-3x. If anybody knows of a spot that would be willing to help out with something like this, Id really appreciate it!

thx !!
Nick

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Before wide belt sanders, every cabinet shop had a "stroke sander." Most were shop made. If you have the room, there is no reason not to build one.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I’m looking for a local shop with a wide-belt sander that I could use for table tops between 36” and 40” wide. I do a lot of tables and it’s a real pain to sand perfectly flat w/a ROS. I can do it with all my Festool sanders, but a wide-belt would be quicker and more even. Want to find either a local shop or maybe a shared-space shop that would let me bring a table top down for a reasonable charge. I am in Cary, NC. I checked with Raleigh Reclaimed but they are asking for $3 dollars per BF... I can almost buy the lumber for that much! I’m hoping more like $30-50 just to run it through 2-3x. If anybody knows of a spot that would be willing to help out with something like this, Id really appreciate it!

thx !!
Nick

Are you sure that Raleigh Reclaimed quoted $3/ BOARD foot vs. $3/ SQUARE foot? Pricing by the square foot would make much more sense of course, as the surface area of the table is what is being sanded, (and wearing down the paper, etc). board footage would take into account the thickness of the table, which would be somewhat irrelevant to the sanding task. If the price was $3/ SF (as I would assume), for an average say 36x72" desktop that would come out to $54. Not too bad of a deal in my opinion, considering the time savings.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
My experience:

Raleigh Reclaimed has the equipment to do something as wide as 52 inches but the are rather expensive. It was $100 plus for me to run a 48" table. If you go to RR I recommend you call first to schedule as they can be, especially on Saturdays. They also have a HUGE selection of very large slabs.

Hardwood Store charges by the hour so it is far less expensive, but could only accommodate up to 36 inches. That said, I think they were planning on getting a wider sander so you might want to call first.

Good luck,

Matt

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS