Local supplier of bearings? (updated)

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
All
IN adjusting my old blue Jet 14" bandsaw, I found the lower thrust bearing (one behind the blade) was frozen. Is there a local supplier of bearings, or is this a order from the internet type of part? I am in Raleigh.

EDIT - UPDATED Sat 4-25-20
Thanks all.
I wanted to go to Fastenal, which is close by, but they are a M-F operation and not open Sat.
I re-read answers and some one suggested a Town and Country. I had called Burke Brothers, but they don't carry bearings. So I called a T&C and they do (as suggested above) so I went there to the place on Kildaire Farm Rd in Cary. Only I drove to the only Hardware Store I know of on KF Rd, and that is at Penny Rd. Disappointed to see that this was an ACE Hardware. Oh well, I was there already, so I decided to try it. They had the EXACT bearing (matching all the partial numbers I could see, etc). It was under $10 and I am back in operation....

Now to understand why the tires on my BS are slipping off. Is it time to replace those? That's not a task I enjoyed when I did this the first time (10 years ago?). The tires are a bit beat up but not in bad shape really. Is the only option to replace when they are 'loose fit?'

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks all. Grainger has been hard to search, Amazon and Fastenal have been the most fruitful so far (Amazon clearly not a local source). I have tried my local hardware store, Northern Tool, with no success.

Because I have difficulty reading any #s on this, it's tough to know exactly what to search for.
10mm ID and 30mm OD seems to be spec'd for Delta BS and that seems to be the nominal size of this thing.
Is e-replacement parts or some other site a good source of info for what type of bearing I need. it seems like I can buy a double sealed bearing for anywhere from about $1 each to $20 each. Hard to know what I need.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
What you're looking for is a bearing with the numbers 6200. That's the industry standard number for that size bearing. The 6200 is a pretty common size. About all 14" band saws use that size bearing as a back up bearing. You might even find that size bearing at the local hardware store.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Motion Industries. They are everywhere. Even here in Greenville NC.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Town and Country Hardware has a limited number of bearings in there fastener area. Was in our local store yesterday looking for snap rings and noticed the bearings, but didn't look at them.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Take your bearing direct to Granger and they will match it. Have done this many times in the past. They have offices in Raleigh, Greensboro, Wilmington and Charlotte. Excellent service , they are the experts.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
You can safely use a very cheap, sealed 6200 bearing... Don't spend $15 on an SKF. A BS thrust bearing is not a precision part... it's just a little engineering hack to provide a backstop to the blade while reducing friction a little. 6200s aren't even actually thrust bearings, that is, designed to bear an axial load. Over the life of the bearing (i.e. until the grease dries up) it will see way lighter duty than all of the other bearings in the saw.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Use your smart phone to zoom in on the numbers. Or take a picture, send to your computer, expand the image.
Agree, that's a strategy I typically use. One extra challenge here is that since the bearing has been frozen (who knows how long?) and I have continued to use the BS, there are deep 'scratches' cut across the face that bears the numbers. So all I can see is a 'partial'.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since you haven't found a owners manual's part number (with that you can google a bearing), measure the bearing ID. Measure the bearing OD. Measure the width. Determine if you want ball, needle or roller bearings ( suspect it is ball and probably should be radial or thrust but manufacturers are cheap). Select what kind of seal, if any, you want and you do want it sealed as others have stated. Calculate the rated speed-this doesn't have to be accurate and this kinda of a so what but you don't need high speed ratings. Take that info to any bearing supply and they can get you a correct bearing. If this bearing is the same as the guide bearing, and if you have those, it will probably be the same bearing. Again, measure twice, buy once.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks all.
I wanted to go to Fastenal, which is close by, but they are a M-F operation and not open Sat.
I re-read answers and some one suggested a Town and Country. I had called Burke Brothers, but they don't carry bearings. So I called a T&C and they do (as suggested above) so I went there to the place on Kildaire Farm Rd in Cary. Only I drove to the only Hardware Store I know of on KF Rd, and that is at Penny Rd. Disappointed to see that this was an ACE Hardware. Oh well, I was there already, so I decided to try it. They had the EXACT bearing (matching all the partial numbers I could see, etc). It was under $10 and I am back in operation....

Now to understand why the tires on my BS are slipping off. Is it time to replace those? That's not a task I enjoyed when I did this the first time (10 years ago?). The tires are a bit beat up but not in bad shape really. Is the only option to replace when they are 'loose fit?'

GregB

New User
Greg
Henry,
Try a local skateboard shop. Skateboard bearing are sealed and rated for high RPM and they typically have a selection to choose from, just don't expect the employee to know anything about woodworking. I replaced mine several years ago this way and have not had a problem.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Greg, welcome aboard.

Thanks I'd not thought of that option.
Now all I'd need to do is find a skateboard shop.... are they still around?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Skate board bearings are the 608 size. That size is much smaller than the 6200 size. The 608 size is a common size guide bearing for smaller band saws.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS