Local source for lead shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I need to find a source, hopefully local, for lead shot or something similar to use to ad weight to an object. I am on a very tight deadline, and don't have time to order anything. I plan on boring some holes, adding the weight and then plugging the holes. The whole bottom of the item will then be covered in felt hidding the plugged areas.
TIA, Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Even lead split-shot (fishing tackle) would work, I'd imagine. I'm sure Wally-world has those. :dontknow:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I need to find a source, hopefully local, for lead shot or something similar to use to ad weight to an object. I am on a very tight deadline, and don't have time to order anything. I plan on boring some holes, adding the weight and then plugging the holes. The whole bottom of the item will then be covered in felt hidding the plugged areas.
TIA, Dave:)

Dave---------If you know where to get reloading supplies, a 38 caliber slug works perfect in a 3/8 hole. Been there done that.:)

Jerry

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
if i remember correctly you live near HF. just down capital in northbound lane near the bowling alley is hills sporting goods. they have all sorts of reloading supplies. coming out of down town before dunkin donuts on the opposite side of the road. not sure what street it is that comes in right there but im sure you know what i am talkin bout. [ well at least one of us does! ]:-D not me:rolf:

fred

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Dave how much do you need? I have a bag in the shop of #6 shoot if you need . Send me a PM and I can get it to you

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nick, I have no idea how much I need. It's to put some weight in a paper weight. Prolly not too much. What's #6 shot weight. Checking gun supply shops is a great idea...again, I am showing my vast firearm knowledge :roll:

Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Nick, I have no idea how much I need. It's to put some weight in a paper weight. Prolly not too much. What's #6 shot weight. Checking gun supply shops is a great idea...again, I am showing my vast firearm knowledge :roll:

Dave #6 shot about this size .and I have a bag of it. I have used it to add weight to some chess pieces. It is yours if you come and get and return what you do not use.:icon_thum

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
You can also buy BBs for cheap at Wally World, but they are not as heavy being copper rather than lead. Pellet-gun pellets are still lead aren't they ? :eusa_thin

I have also used a chunk of steel bar to weight things like jewelry boxes.

-Mark

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I've got some lead in the form of an old cap for a roof vent. Know any plumbers? The quickest way to get lead is go to the fishing section of your local wally world, K-mart, etc and look at the fishing weights. Drill a hole in the bottom and pound in the lead, or pound them flat and cut out the shape with tin snips. Plug with a dowel. You can cut up smaller weights with linesman pliers, or just buy split shot.
Don't forget to wash your hands before you eat that sandwich, tho:lol::lol:

If its really got to be heavy, depleted uranium is heavier than lead, but is a bit poisonous as well as radioactive, and really kicks out some sparks if you hit it with a grinder (DAMHIKT).:rolf:

Go

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Either Hills, or Perry's over in Zebulon will have lead shot. You could route out an area and drop some tire weights in recess and pour some epoxy to fill recess.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks to all for the suggestins and advice. I stopped by Wally-World today and picked up a small bag of 1/2" fishing egg weights. They will hopefully fit in a 1/2" hole and then I can plug it with some dowel stock. I'll probably slop some epoxy into the hole to keep them from moving around unless the fit is really tight. The little bag of 7 weights should add a nice amount of weight to my project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors