Local hardwood

Bill J

Bill
User
I recently moved back to NC after spending some time in New England. When I was here before I bought most of my wood at The Hardwood Store. I was surveying local places to acquire wood and it seems that Capital City Lumber has become more competitive with their pricing. I also discovered Steve H Wall near the VA line. I'd love to get feedback on these places!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Well Bill, there are fairly strong sentiments about many of these places - positive and/or negative.
Since I live less than a mile from Capitol City Lumber, and since my buying volume is relatively low, that is where I shop. Others object to their prices or business practices, but I have been shopping there for years and am pleased with what I can buy; there are no surprises for me. Unless I have a good reason to go elsewhere, that is my supplier of choice.
Klingspor's in Cary, Woodcraft on Glenwood, and Hardwood Store are other 'local' retail options for Raleigh area. There are others that are wholesale only.
I have no experience with S Wall lumber.

Last edited:

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Not sure of your idea of "local", but I've made the trip to Wall Lumber a few times and been pleased. Hardwood Store is somewhat closer for me. Closest is GPS Hardwoods in Kernersville. I've been very pleased with selection and service there, though its a smallish operation.

schnable

New User
Andrew
I typically use Capitol City - I like to browse the stacks and look for the "perfect" boards. I am currently building a jewelry box using some beautifully figured wide plank cherry that I picked up there a few years ago on sale.

Eric G

Eric
Senior User
Capitol City Lumber is my go-to. I had a bad first experience there but I think I just went on an off day. Been several times since then and have been happy. Pricing is consistent so I usually know what I am paying going in and there's never been an issue with cutting boards down to fit in the car.

Not sure where you live, but I would just go what is closer. i.e. Capitol City probably isn't worth driving an hour for if you are closer to Wall Lumber or The Hardwood Store.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure of your idea of "local", but I've made the trip to Wall Lumber a few times and been pleased. Hardwood Store is somewhat closer for me. Closest is GPS Hardwoods in Kernersville. I've been very pleased with selection and service there, though its a smallish operation.
Same for me.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I once shopped at Capital City because that was all I knew. Last time I was nearby and needed to pickup something I stopped in. They wanted to charge me over $250 for something I could get from The Hardwood Store for $100. I asked the counter guy 3 times to verify. Needless to say I said no thanks and left. An informed shopper is a smart shopper plus they save money.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
While I haven't been there in a couple of years, Capital was much more expensive, even with discount for NCWoodworders. Agree with Hardwood Store, Klingspor, Wall and GPS. Also Scott Smith for quarter sawn white oak, and see the recent thread here for Murdock Lumber. Also lumber suppliers listed in resources here.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I too have used Capital City lumber for small quantities of lumber over the years. Since Klingspor opened in Cary, they have been my go to for those small quantities. If I need 50+ board feet, I just call the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, place an order for delivery and I have it in my shop in 3-5 days. (With the NCWW discount + delivery, I about match the Capital City price.) I have ordered poplar and cypress from them on numerous times and been very satisfied with quality of lumber they se!ected for my order.

If red or white oak is required, Scott Smith (quartersawnoak.com) in New Hill is my go-to man!

Wayne

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
I live exactly 25 minutes from both Wall lumber and the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. I had a bad experience at the Hardwood Store about 2 years ago and started going to Wall lumber exclusively and couldn't be happier, the guys there are great.
Just to add, I recently tried giving the hardwood store another try and when I checked out I noticed that they had raised the price of QSWO by about $2/BF (I buy about 50BF a month). I asked why and the guy checking me out got very offensive about it, like I was yelling at him...I only asked why they raised the prices. So, The Hardwood Store is out for me, no more. Wall lumber is just as close and the prices and service are much better.

Craig C

Craig
User
I have buying lumber at Steve Wall's since 1983 when he was selling boards out of the back of his horse barn. I moved away for three years, then when I moved back I went in to buy lumber. When he saw me he reached behind the cash register and looked at a scrap of paper and said, "I owe you $80 credit" (from a tool I bought and returned three or four years earlier when he also sold tools).

Earned my loyalty.

23tony

New User
Tony
Any suggestions for farther east? So far all of these seem to be west of Raleigh, some a good bit. Worth the trip if necessary, just looking for other options.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS