Local Chapter of IAP (International Association of Pen Turners) Starting Up Locally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Local IAP chapter forming in NC. Would you be interested?

What is an IAP Chapter?

An IAP Chapter is a formalized, local structure whose purpose is to extend the guiding principles of the IAP to face-to-face meetings. For those of you who have not met other pen makers, it is a marvelous way to expand your circle of friends as well as to share knowledge first hand which is sometimes difficult to effective explain in the online world. Additionally, face-to-face meetings gives each member a chance to introduce friends and families to the hobby in a more social environment where everyone gets a chance to participate and enjoy the hobby to their own desired level of involvement.

The only requirement is that a face-to-face meeting of at least 4-5 members must be scheduled at least annually. There is no charge for being a memeber of a local chapter of IAP.

An IAP chapter will establish an organization where members can benefit from locally directed programs that aid members in many ways:
- Improving their pen making skills
- Provides localized volume purchase of turning supplies and materials
- Facilitates getting to know and work with other pen turners of all skill levels and will also include turnings of bottle stoppers, bowls, kaleidoscopes and any other turned projects.

If you are interested, please send me your contact information. A meeting schedule is being prepared for the local chapter start up. The first meeting will be in the Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs area. I will see if one of the local wood working shops would be willing to accomodate the meeting with us.

Thank you,

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Re: Local Chapter of IAP (International Association of Pen Turners) Starting Up Local

I would enjoy participating, but the driving distance makes physical participation impractical. Hope the new organization has success in it's implementation.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Re: Local Chapter of IAP (International Association of Pen Turners) Starting Up Local

NC is a long state.
The Carolina group meets in Columbia, SC and is half the drive to Raleigh from here.
Good luck with your chapter.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Kevin I would be interested. Do we know the cost? Keep pushing.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member

Hey Bruce,
I understand the drive concern, I'm from the Hickory area and lived in Conover. Have you got a Skype account, maybe long distance conference call for the first meeting. But you may miss out on the cookout.

Scott,
There is no cost associated with the IAP local chapter. The International group keeps up the forum board and local chapters go in on group buys, community activities and have at least one meeting a year to make the local chapter official.

I think all in all it would be a great source for local participation and the ability to draw off each others techniques for castings, turning, types of tools and the way others use them. I've only been turning for a short time, but it will suck you into the vortex quickly. I've learned a lot in a short time. Especially from a few local turners.

Here are two watch parts (steam punked) pen blanks that I casted this past week along with two sewing pen blanks that have not been assembled yet due to various issues. They aren't perfect by any means but I learned quite a bit.

Anyone interested, please let me know. I'll be reaching out to those expressing the interest for getting an idea of when the first meeting could take place.

Thanks,

IMG_2489.JPG

View image in gallery

IMG_24871.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG

aplpickr

New User
Bill

CaptainA: Both my wife and I would be interested in a pen turners group in WNC. Those flatlanders shouldn't have everything. :gar-Bi

Bill in Hendersonville

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member

Hey Bill,
If I ever get back to my stompin' grounds in WNC I'd like to see a local chapter there. But for now, this is where I am.
Come on over and take a drive and bring the wife. That way we will have more members to start and then expand the chapter.
I'll give you a map if you need one.:eusa_danc

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Boys Boys...:rotflm:NC is a big state. Since the ball seems to be rolling maybe this tread will lead to several NC chapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS