Local Chapter of IAP First Meeting Set - Everyone is Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
There was quite a bit of interest in the initial announcement of the local chapter of the IAP starting up in the area.

As an update, the first meeting is scheduled for Thursday 8/4/11 at 6:30pm. The WoodCraft store in Raleigh has been very gracious in reserving time for the meeting to be held in their store and everyone is welcome to attend.

What is an IAP Chapter:

An IAP Chapter is a formalized, local structure whose purpose is to extend the guiding principles of the IAP to face-to-face meetings. For those of you who have not met other pen makers or turners, it is a marvelous way to expand your circle of friends as well as to share knowledge first hand which is sometimes difficult to effectively explain in the online world. Additionally, face-to-face meetings gives each member a chance to introduce friends and families to the hobby in a more social environment where everyone gets a chance to participate and enjoy the hobby to their own desired level of involvement.

An IAP chapter will establish an organization where members can benefit from locally directed programs that aid members in many ways:
- Improving their pen making and turning skills
- Provides localized volume purchase of turning supplies and materials
- Facilitates getting to know and work with other pen turners of all skill levels and will also include turnings of bottle stoppers, bowls, kaleidoscopes and any other projects. The knowledge base is not limited to turnings but also includes general woodworking information for most areas of interest.

Everyone is welcome and please let me know if you are interested. Gathering a count for the number attending will ensure the space is large enough to accomodate everyone.

When: Aug. 4, 2011
Time: 6:30pm
Location: WoodCraft store - 4317 Pleasant Valley Rd, Raleigh, NC 27612

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Just a reminder that the first meeting for the NC - Raleigh IAP Chapter is this Thursday at 6:30pm.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Thank you.

When: August 4, 2011 @ 6:30pm start to gather time
Where: WoodCraft Store
4317 Pleasant Valley RoadRaleigh, NC 27612
Agenda:
· Introductions
· Housekeeping items to be addressed
· Discussion on what tools are needed in a basic turner’s kit
· Demo – CA Finish for Pens

· Pen exchange or anything else that you have turned
· Blank exchange, don’t forget to bring one. Doesn’t have to be store bought…
· Raffle tickets to be sold at the meeting for blanks and possibly a few kits

Future Demos planned:
  • Casting - colors and objects
  • Skew techniques
  • Turning Corian
  • Turning Acrylics
  • Finishing Acrylics

Don Alexander

New User
Don
my son and i are both interested however we cannot attend Thursday due to a prior commitment

maybe the next one will work better in the schedule

Leviblue

Kevin
Corporate Member
Don,
It's great that your son is interested in woodworking.
I hope to see you both at the next meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS