Live Edge Slabs - Where to find

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Looking for a live edge slab, nothing very fancy or expensive just want to build a desk for my personal use but i've seen lots of slab furniture and wanted to give it a try. Anyone know a good source for kiln dry slabs, ~2" thick 4+ feet long and 20" wide. species of wood doesn't matter as long as it a hard wood.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I agree they have a nice selection but i was hoping to find something a little closer than 4hrs away. I saw a listing on craigslist for a place in bahamas NC but i'm not sure if it is a store or a private person

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Seems like several of the sawyers (listed somewhere here on NCWW) would be good sources to look at. I fully suspect Scott Smith in New Hill, south of Holly Springs/Apex would have what you need, but I believe there are other 'local' choices as well.

Here's the two I was thinking of, from the "Where to buy" and 'Where to buy Wood" section of the resources listings here

1. Whispering Pines Farm / www.Quartersawnoak.com
Scott Smith (919) 291-0095
New Hill, NC (30 miles SW of Raleigh; about half-way in-between Apex and Sanford)

2. Ricky Pope
Bahama, NC
Home: 919-471-9118
Cell: 919-485-9996

Searching the archives will tell you what others have found dealing with these vendors.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I got a guy. What are you looking for?

Since this will be my first one and my learner, i would say cheap on this one, could be oak or cedar, pecan i'm really not picky on the species. Plan to flatten it, add any bowties if needed, add some legs and call it a desk.

Dimensions would be 2" thick, 4-7 feet long and 20-30 wide.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Seems like several of the sawyers (listed somewhere here on NCWW) would be good sources to look at. I fully suspect Scott Smith in New Hill, south of Holly Springs/Apex would have what you need, but I believe there are other 'local' choices as well.

Here's the two I was thinking of, from the "Where to buy" and 'Where to buy Wood" section of the resources listings here

1. Whispering Pines Farm / www.Quartersawnoak.com
Scott Smith (919) 291-0095
New Hill, NC (30 miles SW of Raleigh; about half-way in-between Apex and Sanford)

2. Ricky Pope
Bahama, NC
Home: 919-471-9118
Cell: 919-485-9996

Searching the archives will tell you what others have found dealing with these vendors.
Thank you for reminding me politely to search first and ask second...i get excited sometimes :oops:

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Not to take away from any members here, but they are generally available all over Craigslist in Materials.

Xlogger

New User
Ricky
Not sure how far you are from me but I have a large selection of kiln dried live edge slabs to pick from. Scott also does. I'm suppose to be retired now so lots of weekends I'm at the coast fishing, around most of the week

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Scott Smith in New Hill is about 37 miles from Clayton. Give him a call or send a PM. He'll probably have what you want to get started.

Ricky Pope (XLogger) is in Bahama, NC. About 57 miles from Clayton. You have his number. He also has nice slabs for sale in a variety of species.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I have worked with Ricky Pope and Scott Smith and they are first class all the way. You would be smart to give them a call and ask about current inventory and prices before you set out on the trip to the sawmill.

Its important to point out- they both have completely dry wood. Its not green if that's a concern when folks here mention that they cut logs.

Good Luck

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I have worked with Ricky Pope and Scott Smith and they are first class all the way. You would be smart to give them a call and ask about current inventory and prices before you set out on the trip to the sawmill.

Its important to point out- they both have completely dry wood. Its not green if that's a concern when folks here mention that they cut logs.

Good Luck

Thank you this is why I was looking for recommendations, the ones on Craigslist appear to be air dried

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have a slab of pecan cut from a tree downed during hurricane Fran. It does not have a live edge. It measures 77" long by 21" wide (maybe a little wider than that) and 3 1/4" thick. Problem is it has pp beetles. I have some other 4/4 boards up to 24" wide with live edges but they have beetles too. I was going to sell it all until I realized it had beetles. I really don't want to go through the time and expense to take it to a kiln. If you're interested I'll sell it cheap.
My plan was to make a food preparation table with it but I have no where to put it.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS