Live edge everything: How long will the trend last?

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
Live edge if done correctly can be amazing, I hate when people take long slab pieces, pour 20 gallons of epoxy between them and calling it wood working.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
No epoxy filler here. Just four tapered legs placed asymmetrically under the slab and tons of time prepping for and applying an oil based varnish that is rubbed out so smooth it feels like silk. That thing feels so good my son at age 3 actually laid down directly on it and took a nap.

obviously I’m biased but I don’t think my family is going to get tired of looking at and using that table any time soon. I sure hope it isn’t a fad.

5654B4CA-A3D4-445B-A632-CEDEAC27C8D4.jpeg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
During my professional life I worked at various universities. I truly enjoyed my profession and working at a university was fun as well as mentally stimulating because it is a place of ideas, many ideas...if everyone had the same idea it wouldn't be fun, stimulating or productive. Perhaps woodworking has some similarities...the fact that there are so many options makes it fun, interesting and occasionally provocative.

Last edited:

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I was in a lawyers office awhile back signing some documents. His desk or should I say was more like a conference table was a very large live edge slab. I noticed the slab had developed a severe "cup." I thought to myself, how would someone fix that? I am sure he paid dearly for it and probably disappointed in its current condition.

Not a big fan of live edge, but I do like large slabs in certain applications.

I will try anything once, fun things twice! Just my 2 cents

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
I was in a lawyers office awhile back signing some documents. His desk or should I say was more like a conference table was a very large live edge slab. I noticed the slab had developed a severe "cup." I thought to myself, how would someone fix that? I am sure he paid dearly for it and probably disappointed in its current condition.

Not a big fan of live edge, but I do like large slabs in certain applications.

I will try anything once, fun things twice! Just my 2 cents

Any long table/live edge that I've created has a couple of steel beams routed in and bolted it in place with inserts. Might be overkill but if is saves on cupping then totally worth it.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I was in a lawyers office awhile back signing some documents. His desk or should I say was more like a conference table was a very large live edge slab. I noticed the slab had developed a severe "cup."

Ah the perils of wood drying - or not?! As most of us know - improper drying can lead to all sorts of movement in wood, as can finishing the top and not sealing the bottom (would lead to cupping, rather than crowning). Large (thick?) pieces are that much harder to deal with. Many places are willing to sell fresh cut slabs - which sounds great, but really? I have warned anyone that has asked me - those who know I am a woodworker - that just buying a CL slab in a real mistake. Nothing wrong with Cl, but many 'suppliers' there have not dried the wood properly, if at all.

Last edited:

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
No epoxy filler here. Just four tapered legs placed asymmetrically under the slab and tons of time prepping for and applying an oil based varnish that is rubbed out so smooth it feels like silk. That thing feels so good my son at age 3 actually laid down directly on it and took a nap.

obviously I’m biased but I don’t think my family is going to get tired of looking at and using that table any time soon. I sure hope it isn’t a fad.

View attachment 199501
That will never go out of style. Awesome piece of walnut and well done!

Echd

C
User
It can be done very well, like the bar here in particular. Those are indeed excellent pieces. I don't think most people have an interior decor style that really "pulls off" live edge for a larger piece. It would clash with many modern stylings I think, especially with the grays and granite countertops so in demand at present.

Most unfortunately it normally is a slab barely leveled and sanded, with steel legs from amazon attached, some random bowtie inlays thrown in, several gallons of epoxy to fill holes, and a youtube video where you detail selling it for $20000 to some hipster from the Pacific northwest. Make sure to finish it with Rubio™ Monocoat™ and detail at lengths why it is the greatest finish in existence.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
That's what I've been doing wrong !... I forgot to "Make sure to finish it with Rubio™ Monocoat™ and detail at lengths why it is the greatest finish in existence." ...........

AlanJ

New User
Alan
Thankfully, I read this post before posting pics of the epoxy river table I just finished for my brother! LOL
I have seen several of those that I actually like. But in general don’t care for the look. Exceptional slabs with lots of character I understand more so than just cutting all trees into slabs and selling everything cut as slabs. But their are thousands if not millions of people that want those.

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
I think the attached picture is a direct result of the live edge trend. They probably bought a sawmill thinking they can make money selling live edge lumber. Didn't do a good job stacking though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220304-165307_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220304-165307_Facebook.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 97

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Still got our avacado Kitchen Aid mixer, still waiting for it to come back in style, like my ties even tho I'll never wear them again!
And not a single cake has complained about being mixed in an avacado colored mixer. Don't worry, THIS TOO SHALL PASS!

Last edited:

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Went to a work function (Christmas party at one of my Director's homes. Optional but you better be there kind of thing) just before the pandemic hit. Nice place. Brick exterior with a manicured yard and large bean shaped pool in the backyard. Place looked gorgeous. Except the furniture didn't fit. Live edge wasn't the style that the house needed. It was like stuffing 50 shoulder mounts of different deer and elk and whatever on a single wall. It just didn't work

Maybe an accent here, a piece there would have highlighted how nice the home was, rather than having everything stuffed in there and taking away from the overall effect.

I love live edge in the right spots but for most furniture I wouldn't do it. Too hard to make it fit in an overall collection and impossible to shoehorn into a new place (obviously what they had done) when you move.

That said I am planning on using some live edge in my home for a floating shelf. It will sit up on a tall wall without other shelves or ornamentation about 10' off the floor. No bark, sheen finish. It'll be a highlight since the house has no other live edge stuff in it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I hope to work on a piece of furniture I started several years ago sometime before I die.

It may have a small piece of live edge wood in it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS