Little Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I had a little piece of really pretty maple left over from another project. I decided to try making a small box today for a duck call that a friend made for me. It turned out very good except for the stupid little brass screw that twisted off when I was installing the hinge. I even put wax on it and I was very careful. I gotta stop buying hardware from the box stores...

754207409_xoewK-X2.jpg

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
BTW, I sanded it to 800 and rubbed in Mothers California Gold Carnuba Wax for the finish. I didn't intend to finish it that way. But, my big fingers and those little screws got wax on the wood. So, I thought I'd try it!

gator

George
Corporate Member
When using little teeny tiny brass screws (and even some bigger ones), especially in tough wood, I always fasten the hinge or whatever using a steel screw of the same size to pre-cut the threads in the wood.

George

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
When using little teeny tiny brass screws (and even some bigger ones), especially in tough wood, I always fasten the hinge or whatever using a steel screw of the same size to pre-cut the threads in the wood.

George

Very valuable tip George. :icon_thum That's a great looking box Michael. That's awesome that you finished it with California Gold. I waxed my car with that for years. :gar-La; :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

mikeacg

New User
Mike
That is a beautiful piece of wood and a great looking box! Thanks for sharing!:eusa_danc

svtumbleweed

New User
TEX
Nice color on the maple. It looks like highly figured walnut. The miter joints look perfect. One hinge appears to be sprung and holding the lid higher on one side. Also the screws came through the back on the other side. I have better luck morticing the hinges into the edge of the box and lid, than attaching them to the back. If the hinge is too high, cut the mortice deeper. If it is too deep, use a shim to lift it. I have twisted off brass screws and had to drill them out. I plug the hole with a dowel and re-drill the screw hole. You won't see this fix if you mortice the hinge. In hard wood like maple, your pilot hole needs to be larger than you would think. The screw threds should engage, but no more. I use a shank size drill at the start to prevent binding. Pre screwing with a steel screw is great if you can find one the correct size. I often use #2 screws and the local stores do not stock these in steel.

Its a good project for scrap wood. Save your wood and try another. Boxes are fun and they make great gifts.

TEX

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Thanks for the tips! I gotta find a better source for hinges. But, these will work while I am learning. I wish I could find some better ones that don't cost a small fortune.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Re: Little Box - Now has a twin

I had just enough left to make a second box. It is much better than the first. The hinge installation went much better. I put walnut splines in this box too.

756242914_tU65S-X3.jpg

756244067_y8jVo-X2.jpg

svtumbleweed

New User
TEX
Re: Little Box - Now has a twin

Your fit on the miters and keys is really good. The saw cut for the keys looks clean. Your hinge work is much inporved. Keep going, you are on a roll

TEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS