Links to training videos.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have resisted long enough. Post a link to your favorite training video.
Should be something that actually teaches wood working skills.

Here's mine, not great entertainment but packed with great technique.

One of my favorites too Mike! I still havent mastered his techniques!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
It would be nice to have this type of thread permanently on the resource page, separated by topic.
The interesting "end" of this thread would be to aggregate what is common or uncommon about the videos that makes people "like" that particular teacher / trainer or presentation. I am thinking we can disregard the subject since many of us would watch our favorite teachers folding toilet paper!:po_O

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I look at these great choices and marvel.
virtually instant gratification.
Most of my favorites are in black plastic cases in VHS format.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Please name a few @bob vaughan

I can't remember the specific videos, but the teachers I remember. Two of my favorites are Bonnie Klein and Richard Raffin. John Jordan is another one. After the first few, it seems that the market exploded with famous and talented woodturners making videos. Those were the early days of experimenting and woodturning equipment evolution. The Oneway lathes sharpening jigs were way in the future.

The British woodturners were also great teachers. Ray Key. Bert Marsh.

The days of VHS got woodturning information into the TV screen, but during those days, the woodturing superstars traveled to the different clubs and gave live demonstrations.

There's no question that the technology involved in making today's woodworking videos is far superior plus the knowledge , for the most part, has been cumulative.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can't remember the specific videos, but the teachers I remember. Two of my favorites are Bonnie Klein and Richard Raffin. John Jordan is another one. After the first few, it seems that the market exploded with famous and talented woodturners making videos. Those were the early days of experimenting and woodturning equipment evolution. The Oneway lathes sharpening jigs were way in the future.

The British woodturners were also great teachers. Ray Key. Bert Marsh.

The days of VHS got woodturning information into the TV screen, but during those days, the woodturing superstars traveled to the different clubs and gave live demonstrations.

There's no question that the technology involved in making today's woodworking videos is far superior plus the knowledge , for the most part, has been cumulative.

All good suggestions!
I was never a fan of Bonnie Klein - not sure why...
I think I have EVERYTHING that Richard Raffin made!!
I saw John Jordan in person, but have no video, but that was a FANTASTIC afternoon!!!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
To really appreciate Bonny Klein, you have to have seen her teach in person. Within a few minutes she can calm even the tensest beginner and have them turning with calm confidence. Our club used to get her for a day or two when she would come east to teach at Arrowmont. I would sit back in awe and watch her teach.

The fact that she's a world class woodturner and a world class artist is clear to those that know her, but her contribution to woodturning goes beyond that. She single handed put the mini lathe on the market. She got backed into making her little lathes for woodturners that saw hers and wanted one also. Boom! She was in the lathe making business. Other lathe makers saw this strong demand in a booming recreational woodturning market and started offering their own "mini" lathes. Jet came out with their mini lathe and the race was on. People these days that have a modern bench top lathe have her to thank.

Here's a quick story written in 2003 I think.
https://www.woodturner.org/common/Uploaded files/HonoraryLifetime/2003Klein.pdf

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
To really appreciate Bonny Klein, you have to have seen her teach in person. Within a few minutes she can calm even the tensest beginner and have them turning with calm confidence. Our club used to get her for a day or two when she would come east to teach at Arrowmont. I would sit back in awe and watch her teach.

The fact that she's a world class woodturner and a world class artist is clear to those that know her, but her contribution to woodturning goes beyond that. She single handed put the mini lathe on the market. She got backed into making her little lathes for woodturners that saw hers and wanted one also. Boom! She was in the lathe making business. Other lathe makers saw this strong demand in a booming recreational woodturning market and started offering their own "mini" lathes. Jet came out with their mini lathe and the race was on. People these days that have a modern bench top lathe have her to thank.

Here's a quick story written in 2003 I think.
https://www.woodturner.org/common/Uploaded files/HonoraryLifetime/2003Klein.pdf
Yes, seeing someone in person is MUCH different from on-line or on a video - I will give Rob Cosman as an example - I had seen videos and was turned-off since he seemed like a someone simply "Hawking his stuff" but to watch him teach and the time he took to explain, it is obvious he wants to sell his stuff, but also help people learn.
Haven't read the article yet, but it is in the que for later today... thank you for posting it.

Last edited:

Pdkennelly

New User
Parley
I've watched this video twice in the past week. Such great information.

I have resisted long enough. Post a link to your favorite training video.
Should be something that actually teaches wood working skills.

Here's mine, not great entertainment but packed with great technique.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
As Hank stated earlier, some folks are just better at presenting instruction than another person. I don't know if its the words, the choice of how the material is presented or just some cosmic connection that happens. So here are a couple favorites of mine.

(Allen Breed)

(Phil Lowe)

I have a handful of other videos but I would call your attention to the details of their presentations. Sadly Phil passed away recently without much recognition for his contributions to the present day woodworking community. I was friends with Phil for many years and a big fan of his work.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
This is a scroll saw video by Steve Good. There are many scroll saw videos by him. Each one explains a different technique, tips, etc.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS