Line boring machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
any members have one? thoughts on delta bench top 13 spindle or Grizzly floor models? I need one, on average won't see a lot of use however will be used quite a bit over the next couple years, but then slow down. I like the Delta price, however a little concerned on the plastic gears. Grizzly seems a little heavier built but I read a lot of forums where some people have had issues with some grizzly tools. I own two, with no complaints but they are their heavier built units. any thoughts, I would appreciate it.

Chris

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Chris,

Do the auction thing; I promise not to bid against you. ;-)

Ritter is a good brand. Just make sure that all the bits come with it; you know that half of them are reverse twist, yes?

I can't remember, do you have 3ph power?

K

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I own 4 or 5 (if you count the Desktop Oscillating Sander) Grizzly Wood-working machines. Others have had some problems with initial setup, I've had none. Maybe I'm lucky. I think you're more likely to hear about the bad than the good.

However I don't really worry too much about it due to the excellent customer service that they have. Although disappointing to have something wrong from the get-go, they seem to always make it right.

I don't have any experience with their metal working equipment though.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Kevin, don't make promises you can't keep :)

no 3 phase power, shop space is a little limited until I add onto it this spring, but not looking for a large machine. I'm getting ready to remodel our entire house, going room to room all new built ins and cabinets, so it will see some decent use over the next couple years, but then slow down a bit after that. Didn't you get the delta?

Ken, I've been happy with my 2 grizzly machines, but it's almost 1k more than the delta so was hoping to see if anyone was running the delta and there experience. Thanks

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
No Chris, I didn't get one; just couldn't rationalize the need. (Hmm. That must have been an off day for me...)

I use the Festool LR32 system to do my shelf holes. It works really well and probably has similar set-up time to a dedicated machine. Also, I've used it on >7' panels that were ~20" wide, which could be pretty awkward to do on a dedicated machine without a significantly large support table for the panel. With the Festool, you're just clamping the guides right to the panel, so the panel IS the support table.

And of course, the guide rails can also be used for creating dadoes, or with a track saw to break down panels, which—as fellow Felder slider owners—neither of use should ever need, or if we do, which neither of us should ever tell our wives.

K

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
A different approach, make your own, that uses plunge router. That's what I use. A friend has owned the Delta for years, with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS