lifetime wood treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Call me jaded, but anything called "Lifetime" well, whos lifetime? Especially talking about timber frame exteriors. I wonder what the weasel words are on their products?.

wayne

New User
wayne
Call me jaded, but anything called "Lifetime" well, whos lifetime? Especially talking about timber frame exteriors. I wonder what the weasel words are on their products?.

Chris

I have a problem with lifetime marketing also but considering the amount of posts on here from members extolling the merits of various tool manufactuers warranties and there expectations for manufacturers or the vendors to step up to the plate and fix or provide free parts for tool when the normal warranty has allready expired or expect a company to stand behind there services for what I consider exhorbatent times I just thought some of those same people would be interested in the product sorta like wanting something for nothing logic.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Interesting. Note that it is a treatment, not a finish. I read somewhere that the only reason they need the P in PT is because they treat it green; if you applied the same stuff to dry wood you could get just as much penetration without the pressure. My guess (and it is just that) is that that is pretty much what this is. They had to change the formulas for PT a few years back to be non toxic. Still guessing here but I bet it is similar to Tim-Bor.

wayne

New User
wayne
Interesting. Note that it is a treatment, not a finish. I read somewhere that the only reason they need the P in PT is because they treat it green; if you applied the same stuff to dry wood you could get just as much penetration without the pressure. My guess (and it is just that) is that that is pretty much what this is. They had to change the formulas for PT a few years back to be non toxic. Still guessing here but I bet it is similar to Tim-Bor.

Andy

Maybe simular to tim-bor in the fact that it is non toxic and more a treatment then a finish. Timbor however leaves a residue on the wood as the water soaks in or evaporates, based on reading their info and the testimonials don't believe that happens with this product. Also timbor does'nt alter the apperance per-se and reading the info this product does.

It is an interesting product and if it performs anywhere near the hype surronding it then it has its place in woodworking, but as allready stated could care less about the lifetime part. Most lifetime warranties if the customer had to comply with all the stipulations to collect on them and the companies enforced them with an ironclad fist would never get collected on in my opinion.They are a great marketing tool but companies offering them have went belly-up over them also.IMHO they have outlived their usefullness.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Another product TIMBERSIL was supposed to be lifetime,bugs dont like etc etc etc. Seen stories where it was used by a hollywood actor/construction to rebuild houses after Katrina, last I read he has a major lawsuit against them because the stuf rotted out faster than normal pt. So YES warranties,guarantees yes, UNTIL there is a problem. Then it is usualy something you did or didnt do Never their product

http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/timbersil-wood

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworleans/neworleansnews/7899967-123/innovative-wood-product-used-in

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
From what I heard around here in Southern IL by locals not the internet. Salt water solution works well for wood boring bugs. Has anyone heard this as well?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The product got my chemist's attention so...

1. LifeTime is the registered trademark for this product produced by Valhalco in Calgary, Canada. See the "More info" link at their website.

2. There are no specific claims that it actually lasts a "lifetime" but they do say "Complete Satisfaction Guaranteed". The appearance is solely in the eyes of the beholder as the wood develops a patina like old barn wood. If you don't like the look after awhile then retreat or do something else.

3. It's eco-friendly, non-toxic, yada-yada-yada. There are no claims that it protects against anything like bugs, rot, mildew, etc.

So what is it and how does it work?

It's an old family recipe passed down through 3 generations of European "woodcrafters". The recipe is proprietary but some think it's a mixture of mushrooms, herbs, and other botanicals that promote the natural patina of wood when exposed to rain/sun/snow, etc.

This brief discussion is enlightening:

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/breaktime/green-building/valhalco-lifetime-wood-treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS