Letter templates and plunge router

Bonanza

New User
David
I bought Rockler Interlock Signmaker's Templates - State Park Font Kit and it seems like I need a plunge router which I do not have. Any suggestions for routing letters into wood? suggestions as to which plunge router to buy or other suggestions. Thanks

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For lettering, you don't need an overly large plunge router. One of the newer trim routers with plunge base will work. Make sure it accepts PC style (the most common) bushings. Bosch, DeWalt PC, Makita, MLSC, Ridgid and others make them. MLSC sells their "Rocky 30 for around $120, including brass adapter ring. I'm not sure, and description doesn't say if plunge base accept PC style guide bushings. A phone call could answer this question. (800-872-2511) They used to be open on Saturday mornings.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a set of letter templates I bought from Rockler many moons ago. Used them on a custom mail box post for local YMCA. Routed in "YMCA" vertically on both sides of post. Worked well, just haven't need them since. If memory serves my correct, Milescraft makes them for Rockler.

Bonanza

New User
David
Thoughts on Sign Making and the decision making process

I wanted to make a sign and Rockler had their State Park font kits on sale

Rockler Interlock Signmaker's Templates - State Park Font Kit, 3-3/8"
Item #43820 $60. This kit has the bushing in it to ride inside the letter template.

I went with the bigger size font because bigger is always better, isn’t it?

I also purchased a bit that the Rockler site recommended.
Rockler Signmaking Carbide Bit 5/8" D x 1/2'' H x 1/4" Shank Item #32443 for $30

My current router did not have a plunge base and I thought a small router with a plunge base would be a good thing to have around.

I decided on the Makita RT0701CX7 1‑1/4 HP* Compact Router Kit which I purchased through Amazon for $150. The first problem is the bushing in the template kit fits the router but not the plunge base. So if you want to free hand things you can make it work. My idea was to use the plunge base (which was the whole motivation for getting a new router) to make sure I don’t mess things up.

Apparently there is a solution (and that is to spend more money). Rockler sells a router base template that it looks like the bushing will fit into.
Makita Template Guide Adapter Item # 54390 for $30 ($43 with shipping and tax)

If I was smarter I think I would have gotten the Bosch GKF125CEPK Colt 1.25 HP (Max) Variable-Speed Palm Router Combination Kit for $220 on Amazon. I don’t think I would have needed the above solution and the Bosch has a variable speed setting which the Makita does not.

So far I have parts and no saw dust has been created. :-(

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Doesn't Amazon still take returns? You can make a template guide bushing base for your Makita. That would give you another set of WW skills. Currently need to make a base for a DeWalt 621 that I want to use on a mortising jig that I'm building. Right now I'm in the "burning up brain cells" stage.

Bonanza

New User
David
Well I finally got around to finishing my sign. For anyone interested, I did a little write up on my adventure. I do recommend the Rockler templates. I thought they worked well. A creative person could find lots of uses for them.

I didn't describe making the sign blank. Basically just a piece of poplar (I think) rough cut with a jig saw using a 5 gallon bucket as a template for the curve, belt sander, and then a random orbital palm sander to finish. Oh and hand routered the edge to give it a little something something.

The last question is whether or not to polyurethane it or just let it weather naturally. Suggestions?

Definitely not up to the quality level I see here but we all start at the bottom and work our way up. I do thank you all for the encouragement and the advice.

Attachments

• The Newbie.pdf
    724.8 KB · Views: 250

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thank you for the great write up David, and for the illustrations to help us all understand the process you applied. Well done!

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
When you want to do something creative - mount the router to a CNC machine and go wild.
CreativeGlass.jpg

Bonanza

New User
David
Ah thanks for the excuse to buy a CNC machine . . . . I believe I have entered the worlds most expensive hobby.

So Ken do you have a CNC machine? How much do you charge for your work?

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Ah thanks for the excuse to buy a CNC machine . . . . I believe I have entered the worlds most expensive hobby.

So Ken do you have a CNC machine? How much do you charge for your work?
Yes, I have a CNC router/CNC mill/CNC lathe/laser cutter/3D printer. Just trying to combine my computer (day job) skills and wood working hobby.
There are many people on this site that have CNC machines.

Charge for CNC work??? There many schools of thought on that. But, I know I don't charge enough. But, for me, it is a hobby.
Depends on what people want / do I need to create the vector (drawing) / who supplies the wood / do I already own the router bits necessary / etc.

True 3D CNC carving requires some expensive bits. Breaking an $80 router bit during the start of a 4 hour job, isn't a good way to make money.

Bonanza

New User
David
thanks everyone for just being here. I wish I had more time to devote to woodworking but got a day job and a side job. Maybe I'll get a little time to make a bird house or two. :)

TIDE500

New User
Mike
I bought Rockler Interlock Signmaker's Templates - State Park Font Kit and it seems like I need a plunge router which I do not have. Any suggestions for routing letters into wood? suggestions as to which plunge router to buy or other suggestions. Thanks

TIDE500

New User
Mike
I bought this kit about 7 years ago. I used a standard router with no problem other than you had to dip the bit and bushing into the work. Fyi. Rockler has no way of doing vertical signs (which I needed) unless you make a jig.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Sign making can be a lot of fun. I bought a Rockler kit many years ago and found a Milescraft pantograph at a garage sale sometime later. I recognized it as a pantograph, but didn't discover it was for a router until I got it home. Here's some of my Christmas gifts that year.

003.JPG

Need a planner for the 2 color sign. Shallow pass removes excess over spray paint.

008 (2).JPG
003.JPG008 (2).JPG019.JPG

Combination of letter kit and pantograph...

019.JPG

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Sign making can be a lot of fun. I bought a Rockler kit many years ago and found a Milescraft pantograph at a garage sale sometime later. I recognized it as a pantograph, but didn't discover it was for a router until I got it home. Here's some of my Christmas gifts that year.

View attachment 200311

Need a planner for the 2 color sign. Shallow pass removes excess over spray paint.

View attachment 200312View attachment 200311View attachment 200312View attachment 200314

Combination of letter kit and pantograph...

View attachment 200314
I was looking into purchasing one

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS