Let's choose a finish - cypress edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob.nester

New User
Rob
You guys were great with feedback on finishes the last time I asked, so I figured I'd ask again.

This time around, I'm looking for suggestions on a good finish for a pair of cypress end tables for my covered front porch.

I chose cypress because it's a pretty weather / rot resistant wood, and I know that left untreated it'll fade to a gray (which I'm pretty okay with...), but I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile to throw some stain / finish on it or just let it be? I won't be in contact with the ground, just my front porch deck.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Dude, like Elsa says "Let It Go" if you're happy with the gray coloration when it ages. I wouldn't stain it for sure. There are plenty of marine exterior finishes available that would probably hold up well on a protected porch, but you may eventually end up having to redo it at some point down the road. Then there's always clear paint if you wanna try that route.

B.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
If it's on a covered porch, and you like the look of the cypress itself, use General Finishes 450 Exterior. It will stay clear and give good protection. It's not really great for UV or mildew, but nothing but paint is that I know of.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would use Sikkens Cetol. I have found this to be an excellent product. Strong yet flexible and great UV blocking

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
phil who makes that....never heard of it

Sikkens is a European company. It is manufactured in the states by Akzo Noobel Coaings Troy Michigan
Available here at Bennie Moore in Garner
Great stuff

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A covered front porch is excellent so I'd leave them weather naturally without finishing.

A perspective on outdoor furniture.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/56991/build-a-garden-bench

Cypress planter boxes-2009.

P5070121.jpg

...and 2015 with no finish...

P1010001.png

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Stating the obvious... Why thank you captain obvious... Tables are meant to hold cups of liquid and those cups will be spilled (not a question of IF but WILL - its just a matter of time). Without a good finish that liquid will soak right into the bare wood and leave the nasty woodworking 5 letter word --- STAIN ---.

"the internet is not a luxury, it's a necessity." Barack Hussein Obama II - 15 July 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS