Leigh D4 Dovetail Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

windknot

Scott
Senior User
I bought a D4 a couple years ago and have not touched it. I really would like to learn how to use it but never can take the time decipher the book and details to be successful. Does anyone have a D4 and has mastered it?

waynejnc

New User
Waynej
I bought the D4 and recommend taking the time to read the manual. You really have to read it to understand how the jig works and to make the initial settings. I am like you, I hate manuals but the D4 has the most straight forward and most complete instructions I have ever seen with anything I have ever purchased. tI took me about an hour to go through the initial setup. Once you do this it will be really easy to cut dovetails and well worth the hour or so to get it set up!

Wayne

woodnick

New User
Nick
One thing I've learned about Dovetail jigs is the boards MUST be the same thickness not close but the SAME. (The Tail boards are the same and the Pin boards the same)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the older D1258 unit. I cannot say I have mastered it. I am ok with it. My manual has a quick reference page that you can use to get going and not have to read the whole thing.

Do read the sections on half blind dovetails. It isn't too bad and it will be worth it. Leigh does have one of the best manuals of any tool I have ever owned or seen.

araldite

New User
araldite
The Woodcraft store here in Greenville, SC offers a class on Leigh and Porter Cable dovetail jigs. I think everybody makes a step stool or something. Maybe there's a Woodcraft store near you where you can check into it.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Mine came with video (you may be able to get one from Leigh) that was helpful. But, I agree you can not pass up reading the manual. I do ok with it but have found that pine is a pain to get correct with no tearout or just right tightness. Does great with oak, ash, and other hardwoods. Still, I would buy it again. I also have the MMT finger jig and have found it more difficult and non forgiving on thickness and other details that are not obvious. I would probably pass up the MMT if did not have it.
Warren

BobN

New User
Bob
One thing I've learned about Dovetail jigs is the boards MUST be the same thickness not close but the SAME. (The Tail boards are the same and the Pin boards the same)

With the Leigh D4 the boards DO NOT have to be the same thickness. I have made drawers where the front of the drawer is 3/4" stock while the sides and back are 1/2" stock. Just requires adjusting the router bit height for the different panel.

Bob

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Sorry I mis-spoke. I meant the front/back or sides meed to be same thickness. I had the sides be 1/16 to 3/32 different side to side and had a lot of fun adjusting the final assembly. I since learned to run all the side parts and front/back parts thru the thickness planer before setup and routing the parts. That way the sides are all 1/2 and the front/back are 3/4 or 15/16.

BobN

New User
Bob
Sorry I mis-spoke. I meant the front/back or sides meed to be same thickness. I had the sides be 1/16 to 3/32 different side to side and had a lot of fun adjusting the final assembly. I since learned to run all the side parts and front/back parts thru the thickness planer before setup and routing the parts. That way the sides are all 1/2 and the front/back are 3/4 or 15/16.

Sorry Warren, but I'm still going to have to disagree with you. I just finish a coffee table for my son that had 4 drawers, the front of the drawers was 3/4" stock and the other 3 sides (including back) was 1/2" stock.

On the D4 you can make all 4 sides different size stock if you want. It's a pain in the *** keeping track of it when routing but it can be done. When cutting with the router you set the router to the thickness of the stock that the piece you are cutting will be fastened to not the thickness of the stock you are cutting. Also the scale on the top of the jig where you align the jig to the thickness of stock, you set that to the thickness of the stock that the piece you are cutting will be fasten to. You just need a note pad and a pencil and have all the ends number so you can keep track of what goes where. The users manual doesn't mention this but it can be done and it works. Ask Wayne, he saw my son's coffee table before I delivered it.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS