Leg vise retrofit (3)

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This thread is a continuation from Leg vise retrofit (2) and describes installing the X-cross in an existing leg vise.

The first choice is how to anchor the pins for the cross arm upper ends.
image.jpeg

There are basically two options; 1) drill holes through the leg and chop for the brass pins, or 2) use mounting brackets mortised into the chop and leg. With a new bench, option 1) is usually preferable since the leg can be drilled on a drill press before assembly. Since I am doing a retrofit, I opted for a hybrid by drilling the chop and using a bracket in the leg.

The bracket uses these pieces of 3/8" x 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" 6061-T6 aluminum angle:
image.jpeg

Here is the cartoon that I drafted:
image.jpeg

First, I drilled and countersunk the mounting holes.
image.jpeg

Next, clamp the spacer in position under the bracket and drill three #29 tap holes through each side bracket into the spacer angle deep enough for the #8 screws. This method ensures alignment.
image.jpeg

Next, remove the spacer, enlarge the three bracket holes to 5/32", and countersink for a #8 screw.
image.jpeg

Tap six holes in the spacer 8-32.
image.jpeg

Assemble bracket.
image.jpeg

Drill 3/8" through hole for brass pivot pin.
image.jpeg

Next step is mortising the chop. I used a trim router with 5/8" mortising bits and added an R4 bearing and a spacer to simulate a trim bit.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bearing plate mounted into mortise
image.jpeg

Here is the chop assembly after drilling the pivot pin hole on the drill press.
image.jpeg

The next step is the leg mortise. Here is the leg mortise partially cut and the completed mortise and the bearing plate.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Next is the 3/8" deep mortise for the cross arm pivot bracket. The mortise for the back of the bracket was chopped with a chisel.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And the cross arm installed in the leg:
image.jpeg

Here is my leg vise now retrofitted from a parallel guide to an X-cross mechanism. Also replaced the old leather pads with "crubber". No more bending over to insert a pin into the parallel guide.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This retrofit almost three years ago was time very well spent. My leg vise has a large capacity and moves very smoothly.
I only used a pivot bracket on the leg and just drilled the chop directly for that X-cross pivot pin.

I made two brackets and only used one. This second one if free to anyone upgrading their leg vise.
IMG_4134.JPG

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
This retrofit almost three years ago was time very well spent. My leg vise has a large capacity and moves very smoothly.
I only used a pivot bracket on the leg and just drilled the chop directly for that X-cross pivot pin.

I made two brackets and only used one. This second one if free to anyone upgrading their leg vise.
View attachment 219597
Hi Mike. I'll take the bracket. PM sent

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS