Leg vise retrofit (1)

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
In 2010, I built this bench and included my first ever leg vise using a 1-8 threaded rod for the screw. This bench leg contains two nuts to both suspend the screw and resist the axial clamping force. My next project is to retrofit this vise with a new screw and to eliminate the parallel guide.
image.jpeg

I've decided to retrofit this vise with an X-cross linkage and a 1-5 Acme screw. The bench leg front contained a hex nut that is to be replaced by a radial ball bearing. First step was to make a centering pilot and a drill guide for the bearing recess. Here is the centering pilot in the existing hole:
image.jpeg

and the drill guide clamped ready for the pilot to be removed:
image.jpeg

Ready for drilling
image.jpeg

The bearing installed with a retaining ring (note that I drilled the hole a bit too deep). A 1-7/8" internal retaining ring works without cutting a groove. The Acme screw slides on the inner race while the bearing stabilizes and supports the chop.
image.jpeg

Next step is to mount an Acme nut on the back of the leg. My preference is a square brass Acme nut but I only had a steel hex nut. I opted for a nut block instead of trying to chisel a hex recess into the existing leg. This side goes against the back of the bench leg:
image.jpeg

and here is the back side of the nut block where the screw exits:
image.jpeg

Here is the nut block installed on the back of the front leg:
image.jpeg

At this point, the chop is supported and the screw works. The chop is being reused. The wooden hand wheel is from another leg vise. A self-aligning bearing is pressed into the chop and that bearing serves as a garter also.
image.jpeg

Next step is to make the X-cross linkage and then install it. Making the X-cross starts here: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/leg-vise-retrofit-2.70483/

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thank you for posting the pictures on your very interesting project. Looking forward to seeing the final retrofit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS