Lefty Turners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Retirement is comng up in a few months and I'm looking at dusting off my old (really old!) Homecraft lath. I've done some spindle work over the years but never bowls. I'm considering picking up a chuck and teaching myself but am wondering about you lefty bowl turners our there. Do you hold you gouges backwards, inside out, or stand on the other side of the lath or what? Thanks for your remarks.

Tom from Clayton

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
I’m not a lefty (my son and daughter are) so this is just my observation. Since you have done spindle work, I assume you normally keep the same hand on the toolrest whether you are turning left or right for beads or coves. You are always turning downhill to the grain. My daughter doesn’t have a problem doing everything the same way I do. The only time I have heard of someone turning from the opposite side of the lathe was when they were turning hollow forms but there could be a lot of people who do.
I do not know what size lathe you have but if it is 12" swing or less you may consider the Nova Mini chuck. I just received my Woodcraft sales flyer and they have it for $125 with SIX sets of jaws. Not bad $$ at all. The link still shows the $225 price.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2082407/31705/Nova-Precision-Midi-Chuck-with-Six-Jaw-Sets.aspx
Mike

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I also am not a south paw, but my wife is. She has no problems. She does some right handed and some left handed things; same as I do. I find myself doing some things with my off hand for a variety of reasons.
You might look into getting your hands on a lathe and seeing what feels natural or doable before you invest, but I bet you'll overcome any trepidation. I've heard of people turning in reverse - BUT anything threaded - faceplates, chucks, etc may come undone on you. MT drives should be fine.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I am a lefty:embaresse. If I'm using the Morse taper I will turn hollow forms/bowls from the "backside" of my lathe. As CaptnA said any threaded mount will possibly unscrew when applying pressure from the "backside" of the lathe. It really depends on whether you are comfortable using your right hand as the guiding hand or not.
As mentioned, just try different methods and if you feel comfortable, go for it.

Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors