LED Shop Lights - Costco Holiday Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastChanceWoodshop

New User
Jason
If anyone is looking for an excuse to change out their shop lighting this winter, Costco is running a sale on their 4' LED shop lights.

I put 6 in my 20x20 garage with 10' ceilings and it has made a huge difference in my ability to see and thus my mood.

JD

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Had my son check in Nashville TN at Costco. They had web order only. Those had too many controls, dimmers, delays, motion detectors. Stuff I'm not convinced I want to pay for. Still for $39.99.... Went out to the shop yesterday when it was high 40's and the fluorescents took 5-10 minutes to warm up. Beats a kerosene lantern I guess.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I changed all my lights in my house to LEDs at a small fortune but it shows up on the utility bill. Put 2 48" strips under the over hang of my roof pointing out to my deck and its like daylight. LEDs are the way to go!!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yep, switching to LEDs in my garage shop (10' ceilings) was enlightening!

I have the same fixture that Ken has. Not bad for $35 either.

I've also replaced the remaining t8 fluorescent bulbs (10) with LEDs from Costco in Durham. No new fixtures (or tombstones) needed because the bulbs are "plug-n-play" in the old fluorescent fixtures. My Costco bulbs are like these but they're in a green box and I think that a box of 2 was about $18 several months ago.

https://www.amazon.com/FEIT-Electric-LED-Tubes-Fluorescent/dp/B018A354DG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I haven't done it in the Shop (Garage) but, I just had a fixture go out in the kitchen - it was a T12 and I had changed it to a T8 ballast, so I was able to buy replacement LED "bulbs" at Lowes for $15 + change...

Yet another option if you already ahve a T8 ballast.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another alternative if you don't mind a little minor re-wiring of your T8 Fluorescent fixture are these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NXBMDEY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are direct wired on one end and come with a new tombstone. Remove the ballast and the tombstones from one end of the fixture, wire up the new tombstone that comes with the bulb to hot and neutral, throw away the ballast and use the existing tombstones at the other end of the fixture to hold the bulb in place - no wiring needs to go to that end. Very simple replacement of a florescent fixture and you no longer have a ballast or much of anything except the bulb that can fail. BTW - the tombstones use 18 gauge wire that just pushes in to slots in the tombstone. Very easy to wire the thing up.

I've found it sometimes cheaper to buy a T8 fluorescent fixture and two of these bulbs than to buy a new LED Fixture and some LED Fixtures don't have replaceable bulbs.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't want to put words in Ken's mouth - but in case I wasn't clear - I had a T12 fixture I intended to change to a T-8 when the ballest went bad.

So, I bought the ballest AND bought replacment LED "flourscent-like" bulbs and I am VERY happy with how easy the change was and that the bulbs are quarter-turned right in-place in the existing fixture!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, they make both kinds of LED replacement bulbs, those that use a ballast and those that are direct wired. To convert a fixture to the direct wired ones requires a little work, but you eliminate a point of failure. In my case I had fixtures with 220V ballasts (came out of a demo project thanks to Phil) and didn't want to have to replace all the ballasts as well as the bulbs, so I went with the direct wired option. Lot's of choices out there nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors