Leather Strop - Game Changer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I bought a leather stropping disc for my WorkSharp 3000.

Backing up a bit, I was squaring the corners on some stopped dados on the bathroom wall cabinet I built a couple months back. The cheapo Irwin-Marples chisels I used were sharpened/flatened to 800 grit. Had to use a mallet make the cuts.

Got the stropping disc, no longer need a mallet. These chisels have gone from sharp to scary sharp!! I've also re-sharpened all my plane blades.

mbromley

New User
Bromley
Are you going from 800 straight to the strop? I have yet to use one but polish up to an 8000 grit water stone so I'm wondering if it will still make a big difference.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Yes, with the WorkSharp and a sharpening jig like Veritas or a generic, the stropping wheel and the green clay bar will put a mirror finish on the cutting edge. Guess you could do it by hand but the WorkSharp and sharpening jig makes it really easy

I have several DMT diamond plates and Norton water stones worn slap out.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I used to sharpen to only 360 grit, then go to my 1"x42" leather strop belt on a sander. That did wonders, but I'm sure using even finer grits first would have been better, although the sharpness factor was really good. There are a number of suppliers where you can find them, including Amazon, with prices in the low $20's and up.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Would you guys mind posting a link to the leather products you're talking about?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yes, with the WorkSharp and a sharpening jig like Veritas or a generic, the stropping wheel and the green clay bar will put a mirror finish on the cutting edge. Guess you could do it by hand but the WorkSharp and sharpening jig makes it really easy

I have several DMT diamond plates and Norton water stones worn slap out.

I can understand how water stones of any sort get worn out but not the diamond DMT stones even with hard use. :icon_scra

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like my Worksharp 3000 and may try the leather wheel. I bought an extra glass disc so I could try finer sandpaper and I was a little disappointed with the results of that. I think I went up to 5000 grit and while the chisels looked more bright and shiny, I didn't think they cut much different than they did with the somewhat coarser paper that came with the WorkSharp. I'm not sure if I didn't use them right - messed up the angle - or if I am not as discerning or my chisels are different. My "good" chisels are an old "Footprint" brand set and I also use some really cheap chisels from Aldi. I also have some glue scrapers from Sears (Craftsman brand).

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Jim save your 20 bucks and shipping and buy some 1/2 mdf. Glue any paper on the mdf both and polish away. I have a dozen different grit wheels to play with on the WS. When they are worn out just make another.

Lots more options with the homemade discs.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Jim save your 20 bucks and shipping and buy some 1/2 mdf. Glue any paper on the mdf both and polish away. I have a dozen different grit wheels to play with on the WS. When they are worn out just make another.

Lots more options with the homemade discs.
For final polish, use some Tormek Paste on a disk of MDF. Klingspor stocks Tormek Paste. A tube will last you a lifetime, unless you forget where you put it. DAMHIK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS