Leather for vice jaws

Strom

Strom
Senior User
I have an Emmert vise that I made wooden jaw liners for and use it daily. I have a project that is too delicate for the wooden jaws so I decided to use a leather liner. There must be some kind of oil or dye in the leather as it is transferring to the object I am clamping.
Have any of you had similar problems ? Solutions ?
Is there a source for undyed leather you would recommend? The size is 8x19. Thanks

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can go to an auto parts store and buy a rubber cork product that is used for gasket material. I use 3/32 and a 24x36 sheet is about 12dollars. I've used t in my vises for several years with good service.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
You can go to an auto parts store and buy a rubber cork product that is used for gasket material. I use 3/32 and a 24x36 sheet is about 12dollars. I've used t in my vises for several years with good service.

I have used both leather and “crubber” and prefer crubber. It is durable and resists absorbing fluids like spilled BLO, etc.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Live and learn. Had never heard of crubber Thanks Pop Pop.

Crubber of course is the aforementioned cork-rubber gasket material. I have had the best results using spray contact cement to attach the crubber.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS