Leaf blower not working right

Pompeio

New User
Mike
90% of problems on running a leaf blower are due to the carbon build-up on the spark arrestor. Remove the spark arrestor and try to see through the wire mesh. If you cannot see through it then take a blow torch (no kidding) and burn off the carbon build-up. I used the blow torch in conjunction with a pair of vise grips to hold the spark arrestor and then clamped the vise grips in a small vise as I did not want to be too close to the torch’s flame. There are YouTube videos showing this solution. Hope this resolves your issue.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Have the same blower, had the same problem. Rebuilt the carb and problem solved. Although as I recall I spent more on the rebuild kit than the cost of a new cheapo carb...

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
90% of problems on running a leaf blower are due to the carbon build-up on the spark arrestor. Remove the spark arrestor and try to see through the wire mesh. If you cannot see through it then take a blow torch (no kidding) and burn off the carbon build-up. I used the blow torch in conjunction with a pair of vise grips to hold the spark arrestor and then clamped the vise grips in a small vise as I did not want to be too close to the torch’s flame. There are YouTube videos showing this solution. Hope this resolves your issue.
90% is a bold statement. Some, sure. Carbs more. Improper fuel most of them.
You can get new arrestor's screen for most, but not my 50 year old Ecco, so I just bought some screen from McMaster.

Friends Toro zero turn started to run wild. Dug into it. Throttle plate had come off. Screws went through dinging the head and piston, but recoverable. Shacking the screws out of the muffler. I had never seen a failure like that, but guess what? Toro sells the shaft, plate, and screws as a kit. Must happen more often than I imagine. Should be back in business for under $100 which is better than $3500 for a new mower.

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
Classic symptoms of bad carb.

I am lucky in that the gas station around the corner sells 90 octane non-ethanol fuel. That is all that I will buy and use for small gasoline engine use. I also always add a fuel stabilizer when I fill the can for safe storage. I have had very good luck with Star Tron stabilizer keeping the non-ethanol gas working OK for more than a year of storage.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Mixed up the Mechanic-in-a-Bottle per the instructions (1oz + 1 gallon of gasoline). Put it in the leafblower, ran it for 15 min. No effect. Let it sit for a few hours. Still nothing. Poured 1/2 oz directly into the leaf blower's gas tank, ran it on idle for a minute, success! I can once again open the throttle without issues. It still feels like it's slightly underpowered, but it's at least 90% of what it should be. So that's great news. Best would be to clean/ replace the carburator, but I'm happy if this thing lasts until I sell my house :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Easy fix for $4, hard to beat that.

Johnson

New User
AD
Mixed up the Mechanic-in-a-Bottle per the instructions (1oz + 1 gallon of gasoline). Put it in the leafblower, ran it for 15 min. No effect. Let it sit for a few hours. Still nothing. Poured 1/2 oz directly into the leaf blower's gas tank, ran it on idle for a minute, success! I can once again open the throttle without issues. It still feels like it's slightly underpowered, but it's at least 90% of what it should be. So that's great news. Best would be to clean/ replace the carburator, but I'm happy if this thing lasts until I sell my house :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Easy fix for $4, hard to beat that.

I was given a Husqvarna backpack blower that "didn't run," and had sat idle for five years. Agree that cleaning the spark arrestor was key. I replaced fuel lines, spark plug and air filter and ordered a new carb. OEM carb was like $80, Chinese knockoff was $15 on Amazon. Put new carb on, non-ethanol fuel with Startron and the thing has been running like a champ for three years. Worth the $15 if you have problems in the future.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I am leaning to the carb as the issue too. Unless you are using solely non-ethanol gas, I have learned that those things are somewhat a disposable item. You can usually pick up an aftermarket carb for under $20. You can clean them too. I admit though, although I am getting better, my success rate of cleaning a carb is about 50%

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS