Leaf blower not working right

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a small backpack Husqvarna leaf blower (125BT). It's probably 12 years old, definitely used it a lot. It starts fine, idles fine, but when I open the throttle, it loses power and if I keep the trigger at full it eventually dies. If I only do half throttle I can keep it going. Every so often I have to back off and let it idle for a bit, but at least it will keep going. Operating at half capacity is fine for blowing all the pollen, but not enough of course for the heavier leaves.

I've replaced the gas, cleaned the air filter, replaced the spark plug, and cleaned the muffler/ spark screen. No difference. Any ideas on what's causing it?

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Your description of problem points to an air inflow issue. At half throttle it runs ok, i.e. air/fuel mixture works. At full throttle it floods out, i.e. not enough air gets sucked in. Changing the air filter should have helped, but it didn't. Test run it with no air filter. Is there an adjustment screw on carb? You might be dumping more fuel than the designed air flow can handle. Can you remove carb and inspect all air passages? Rebuilt carbs on line are really cheap; remember to get gasket too.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Did the gas sit in it over the winter? Do you use non-ethanol exclusively?
There is a product called Mechanic in a bottle.
Buy a bottle, follow directions. I happen to have an honest Husqvarna dealer or else his repair shop was extremely backed up...
He told me that most of the equipment that comes in for repairs get this treatment first, often that's all the shops do when you ask for a tune-up.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Bad spark plug. I know you just replaced it but try another one. misfiring under a load is a common symptom. Check your fuel/oil mix, sounds like you fouled it.

tghsmith

tghs
User
I would check the exhaust port for build-up of crud,, I would check the in-tank fuel line to make sure it hasn't "gone soft" and is collapsing under draw,, check the filter on the fuel line also..

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
The old standby "you've got water in the gas." If there's a fuel filter on it, replace it. Yes, Seafoam is your friend along with lead free gas. Sure it's more expensive, but it's a small engines's best friend.

Tom

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Replacement aftermarket carb is 15-20 bucks w/ the new air filter. I replaced mine and that was that.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Second the muffler. Cleaning the carbon off of the baffles can allow the engine to breath again. Nothing you do with the carb will help if there is nowhere for the exhaust gas to go.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Some suggest the eth-free fuel to be better. As far as I know the only lead gas still made is for aviation use only. I do not know if it is a 2 or 4 cycle. I found some 2 cycle are picky about the oil and you do really need to run the specific 2 cycle oil and make the mix dead on. My cheap Pulan chain saw only runs well on premix from the store at astronomical prices.

My 40 year old Ecco still starts first pull. New carbs are total crap, no matter a cheap Homelite or a top of the line.

Second on plugs. I do not how on earth Champion can screw up a simple solid core plug, but they are well known in the old car circuit. Do not buy any "magic" plugs.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

- I did replace the fuel filter already, and also cleaned the muffler. There was a bit of black gunk in there but not very much, certainly not enough to block the air flow.
- The gas is fresh. Can't remember if it's ethanol free, I typically go to a different gas station that has 100% ethanol free fuel, but might have skipped that the last time.
- There is no adjustment for the carburator, only the idle setting
- I tried running without the air filter, no change

I think I'll try the mechanic-in-a-bottle thing next. Cheap and easy. I could disassemble/ replace the carburator, but it's a bit more of a project I'm ready to do right now given that I'm selling my house at the moment.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I once had insects build a nest in the muffler. Lots of frustration until I discovered it. You can check that the exhaust isn't clogged, but I think Wiley has the best take on the problem.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
If you ever find the solution please post it. I had the same problem once and every solution posted above was attempted and nothing worked. Finally ended up trashing it.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Plugged jet and perhaps bad fuel line. Ethanol eats up those old engine fuel systems.

Last edited:

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I'm guessing a gunked up jet also or float meter. Instead not enough air, it is too much air for the amount of fuel available when you open the throttle valve all the way. I used to disassemble and clean in my ultrasonic cleaner but unless it's a big automobile or tractor carb it is hard to justify when you can get a Chinese one online for 20 bucks.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS