Lead Paint reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
At my broker’s class yesterday, I found out something I didn’t realize about the LEAD PAINT laws. Starting January 2010, even private citizens may be required to be certified when working in the vicinity of lead paint. Lead paint is presumed to be present in every structure built before 1978. Here’s the examples given: Pressure washing siding when the activity washes to bare wood. Disturbing paint in a rental unit owned by a private citizen. They don’t care whether 25 coats of lead free paint have been added since 1978 either. The primary class is 8 hours and more info can be found at www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/lead/lhmp.html

Here’s the bad news. Fines under NC law can be up to $750.00 per DAY!

Fines imposed by the EPA can be an additional $32,500.00 per DAY! <NOT A TYPO!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Kathy (LOML) was telling me that she read this somewhere recently.

Got me thinking....

What are the implications to resale value of a pre-1978 home?

Thanks

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've only had one client ever tell me that they would not buy a 'lead paint' house. However, unless a child is prone to dining on window sills, there's no danger to painted over surfaces.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Latest issue of FHB has an article on painting. Author states that homeowners are exempt for lead abatement rules. A while back my son was bidding a job taking down an old barn. Had town inspector meet him at job site to look at lead issue. After looking at peeling paint, inspector said lead shouldn't be an issue as most paint had fallen off onto ground years ago. 50+ years of rain / weather leached much of the lead into surrounding ground surface already. Common sense prevailed.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bruce taking this one set further I did read about cases of minor lead poisoning that was traced back to vegetables planted along the side of a house previously painted with lead paint. Seems year before the bulk of the lead paint was strapped off but just left on the ground.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
What the instructor was pointing out was:
Disturbing paint in a rental unit owned by a private citizen.
IOW, putting a potential tenant at risk requires anyone working with lead paint be certified. So even if you own the rental, you can't do the work without certification. That's really all I know about the subject and it was talked about only because some rental owner(s) ran afoul of the EPA.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Kathy (LOML) was telling me that she read this somewhere recently.

Got me thinking....

What are the implications to resale value of a pre-1978 home?

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne, The EPA Lead Paint disclosure regulation has been in effect since 1996. This rule requires sellers or lessors to disclose information about the presence of lead paint in pre-1978 housing. As far as I can see, this rule has not had any real effect on home values. The hazards of lead paint are easily mitigated so it's generally low on the priority list for buyers.

This new renovation rule is intended to control contractors who, unaware of the lead paint, tear things up and create a bigger hazard for the occupant. The rule outlines the certification process, but also describes acceptable work practices to keep everything safe.

-G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS