Lazy Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeeves

New User
dwight
I have a kitchen cabinet job to do, It has a lazy susan in it, anyone know of a design for a good basic door system. The one that I seen did not seem hold up well. Thanks Dwight

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Is it going to be in a corner cabinet? I have two lazy susans in my corner cabinets and the door is just hinged in the middle. It works really well, except one of the Euro style hinges is at the same level as cans on the bottom shelf of the LS, and you can load it up too much or they won't pass it as it turns.
Dave:)

sediener

New User
Steve
The doors on the lazy susans in our house are mounted to the carousel. They are inset about 1/8-1/4 inch into the opening and screwed together from the inside with one being coped over the other at the intersection.

I've had the hinged type as well in our last house and prefer these... they don't get in the way if you have to open them up with a neighboring drawer/dishwasher/door open.

If you have no idea what I am saying, I can snap a picture for you.

- Steve

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
In my mind, there is no good way to handle corner cabinets!!

My current house has bifold doors on my corner lazy susan cabinets. They are ok, but the door can get in the way, and tends to bump into the adjoining cabinets. This type of door needs heavy-duty hinges since they support "two" doors. Plus, you need to align the pie-shaped slot in the lazy susan shelves in order to close the doors. Unless it is at the outer edge of the lazy susan, it is hard to see and you still need to reach in to get stuff. The advantage is you can use this with overlay or inset doors.

I built the cabinets in my last kitchen. I made an "L" shaped door assembly and attached it to the rotating shelves. This type of door can be difficult to size and fit properly, and you must leave a decent reveal so the door doesn't hit the cabinet stiles when it rotates. It obviously can not be an overlay door; it must be inset. Proper alignment of the lazy susan is critical and can be difficult.

There are some other corner assemblies that rotate and slide various ways that give you a little better access to the contents, but are more complex to install.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
go with biforld 170degree hinges for the bifold doors, 90degree for the hinge to the frame. Rockler has a good Blum set.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
this is a very 'do-able' project. Michael nailed it on the kitchen we did together.... (funny how 'nailing it' is good, but it was actually screwed together) Good hinges, and careful layout are the key, and, of course patience. There are also two options for the doors... MG may be able to describe the other, he studied it, I just looked at the whole thing confusedly.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
There are multiple types of lazy susans. Some the doors have to swing, some the doors mount to the LS, some both doors have to swing. My suggestion is to get your hardware first. Determine what style of susan you are going to use, and then buy it so you can have all your measurements and such together.

Personally, I like the ones where the doors mount to the susan and swing. Nothing to open or get out of the way with that type if you have the space to use them.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have seen them this style as well. They work, but are a bit larger or smaller in some instances than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS