Lazy Susan cherry and walnut

Volksdad

New User
Glen
I’m done sanding my anniversary gift to my wife. It’s lazy Susan for us to set hot pans on at dinner. (We serve from the pan). I’m thinking tung oil (100%- not a mixed finish). Any thoughts or advice for something that will be ready by Tuesday and will hold up to hot pans?

Bevel is on the bottom. It looked too thick and beefy, so I added that with the table saw to lighten up the profile. (These pics are from before I finished sanding).

90B62FCC-C199-4F6B-80B5-3516954741D6.jpeg
90B62FCC-C199-4F6B-80B5-3516954741D6.jpeg
F1A0D500-60B2-47C7-BB6E-7B3AAFADF4B6.jpeg

Last edited:

stevenross

steven
User
Looks nice! Where are you getting the hardware - I am looking to make one for kitchen table, so can be light duty, but want it quiet and easy to turn.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Any thoughts or advice for something that will be ready by Tuesday and will hold up to hot pans?

Tung Oil is nice but the initial coats should be thinned for better initial penetration. Wipe off the excess and let it cure for 24 hours then apply more coats. You'll need trivets underneath hot pans with any type of finish.

What is the diameter of your lazy susan?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Looks nice! Where are you getting the hardware - I am looking to make one for kitchen table, so can be light duty, but want it quiet and easy to turn.
Very nice looking Lazy Susan Glen! Lazy Susan type swivels are available at Lowes in various sizes, and Home Depot would also carry the swivels too. I am a big fan of Lowes because they are very supportive of veterans and military, not to mention they're a locally based company with corporate offices in Mooresville, originating in Wilkesboro.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Tung Oil is nice but the initial coats should be thinned for better initial penetration. Wipe off the excess and let it cure for 24 hours then apply more coats. You'll need trivets underneath hot pans with any type of finish.

What is the diameter of your lazy susan?
It sits right at 17”. Thanks for the tip about hot stuff.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
I got this hardware At Klingspor.
Thanks! I got the hardware at Klingspor in Cary. It’s got bearings in it and is thin, smooth and very stable. The hardware lifts it 1/4” and is 12” across. I used four screws but there are points for eight more.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Very nice looking Lazy Susan Glen! Lazy Susan type swivels are available at Lowes in various sizes, and Home Depot would also carry the swivels too. I am a big fan of Lowes because they are very supportive of veterans and military, not to mention they're a locally based company with corporate offices in Mooresville, originating in Wilkesboro.
I found swivels at Home Depot but they are the square kind where you must add a separate base. They were only $4 though. I’m pretty sure Lowe’s has the same. I prefer Lowe’s too but it’s further away from me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS