Lathe manufacture/make....headstock quick release mechanism.. Any machinists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
There is a video on youtube of this fine fellow over in Japan which makes very nice fountain ink pens. He owns this smaller metal lathe of the sorts which has a quick release mechanism built onto the backside of the headstock. Anyone have any idea what the mechanism is termed, called, etc;? How about makes and manufactures? Doesn't appear to be any form of a makeshift creation. Looks like it was made specifically for the lathe. However, if it is makeshift, it appears to be a quality amendment.

You can see the mechanism in about 7:20 of the video and again somewhere around 9:20, I believe. If I recall correctly. thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris,
He is on a lathe with a collet arrangement - that is simply the collet "open and closer" lever.
We called them toolroom lathes since you would usually dress or cut a tool that went into a machine since it is such an accurate machine.

You can look-up Hardinge toolroom lathe Enco makes one as well (I have one I intend to refurbish... someday...)

Touchwood

New User
Don
There is a video on youtube of this fine fellow over in Japan which makes very nice fountain ink pens. He owns this smaller metal lathe of the sorts which has a quick release mechanism built onto the backside of the headstock. Anyone have any idea what the mechanism is termed, called, etc;? How about makes and manufactures? Doesn't appear to be any form of a makeshift creation. Looks like it was made specifically for the lathe. However, if it is makeshift, it appears to be a quality amendment.

You can see the mechanism in about 7:20 of the video and again somewhere around 9:20, I believe. If I recall correctly. thanks

Very Impressive....Thanks, Chris

Truefire

New User
Chris
Chris,
He is on a lathe with a collet arrangement - that is simply the collet "open and closer" lever.
We called them toolroom lathes since you would usually dress or cut a tool that went into a machine since it is such an accurate machine.

You can look-up Hardinge toolroom lathe Enco makes one as well (I have one I intend to refurbish... someday...)

Yeah, I'm familiar with collets, I use them all the time but the arrangement is something I've never seen. The mechanism is what I was referencing, not just the lever.

Gotcha! -that's the part I was looking for- "toolroom lathes". Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for that aspect and the other info. Can these assemblies be dismantled and removed from those types of lathes, therefore opening up the lathe to be used as a typical lathe? Or is this mechanism built into the headstock? You say, "toolroom lathes"...isn't that just a generic term that could be used to classify any lathe sitting inside the floorspace of a toolroom?

Sawman and Touchwood--I thought so too...I love the setup. Very impressive and something that I NEED as well. Thanks gents.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can these assemblies be dismantled and removed from those types of lathes, therefore opening up the lathe to be used as a typical lathe? Or is this mechanism built into the headstock?
You say, "toolroom lathes"...isn't that just a generic term that could be used to classify any lathe sitting inside the floorspace of a toolroom?

No, typically the "Assembly" is part of the headstock and cannot be removed.
But I have a 5C solid collet with a three jaw chuck so I can use the "toolroom" lathe like an engine lathe...
There is a collet closer tube that threads onto the collet - I have a picture of a 5c collet closer below, but there are a number of others - R8, 3J etc.

5C_Collet_closer.PNG

Yes, toolroom lathe is a generic term, but shouldn't be confused with an engine lathe - I am guessing someone will correct me, but I was taught the difference between an engine lathe and a tool room lathe is the engine lathe is set-up for threading. Additionally, the toolroom lathe was originally, manufactured to higher standards, typically set-up with collets due to the level of accuracy expected to be desired for parts turned on them...

Used to turn to 0.0001 or polish a pin or diameter to fit in a reamed hole!

Now with that said -there are tool-room lathes with a turret tail stock for "production turning" blowing away the definition of "toolroom lathe..."

Truefire

New User
Chris
Wow!! I never knew and I'm certain I've stood right beside some of those lathes when I took some machining coursework eons ago. Thanks for enlightening me. So, I'm wondering what would be some good search terms to utilize, in an effort to locate older classics and mediocre models floating around, for sale? I'd love to pick me up one of the smaller class ones very similar to the size that gentleman was using. Thanks for the breakdown schematic. Very helpful. I saved that baby.

"Collet Closer"--thanks Woodmolds :icon_thum

Truefire

New User
Chris
So does anyone have any specific searching terminology to suggest that might aide in locating one of those type lathes?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So does anyone have any specific searching terminology to suggest that might aid in locating one of those type lathes?

Chris,
I found this in a Craigslist search for "Tool Room Lathe"

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/tls/6172484537.html

Your easiest searches will be with a used equipment dealer - but you will pay!
Patience, auction watching, and continued searching should yield something, but it will take a while!

Truefire

New User
Chris
Hank, what do you think a good price would be for a used unit about the same size as the one in the video?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is the Eguro lathe Kiyoshi Kato uses in the video[FONT=YouTube Noto, Roboto, arial, sans-serif];
[/FONT]
https://www.google.com/search?q=egu...-AD8QyjcILw&ei=qlBkWe66N6KLjwSC_YH4Aw#imgrc=_

I had an ENCO 5C collet turret lathe - very similar to the Eguro in the video.

A used Hardinge is probably the easiest to find, but likely is going to be $1000 to $5,000. But, likely to be three phase, unless it has been converted.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...rret+lathe.TRS0&_nkw=5C+turret+lathe&_sacat=0

...and you may have to travel a little...
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/tls/6133158265.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS