Lathe Chuck advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncledavid

New User
David
I am very new at woodturning, and in the last week I bought a old 12-36 jet lathe. Now I need a chuck. any advice as what to get? I have been looking at a Barracuda 2, looking for guidence from turners. Thank you so much, David.
:confused:

kclark

New User
Kevin
I bought the nova g3 from woodcraft last month . It was on sale for $180 when I got it. It has been a great chuck for me. I am very happy with my selection. My projects have not slipped out yet even on bigger turnings. Salad bowl size and that is on a Rikon 12-16 lathe.

manfre

New User
Manfre
On my Delta 46-455, I have the Nova Midi. The jaws do not travel as far as the Nova g3, which is annoying at times and requires me to switch jaws for some baby rattle or bottle stopper blanks. It's only real advantage over the g3 is that it can use the same jaws for less than half the price.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Do NOT buy the Nova Midi for the Jet 1236. The spindle threads are too long and will interfere with closing of the chuck.
I have a supernova and like it. The G3 looks like it should be nice too. I am also tempted by the following chucks:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Jaw-Wood-Chuck-1-x-8-TPI/H6265 - i have heard it is a good clone of the Vicmarc and can even use their jaws.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=69183&cat=51&ap=1 - I haven't heard anything about these but LeeValley typically offers up good wares only.
Salem

sawduster

New User
Robert
one vote here for the Barracuda 2 . I bought one 2 years ago and have abused the heck out of it ( I'm a rookie ) and it has handled it. i like it so much I bought another used one from a member here. a lot of bang for the buck in my opinion

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
I have to give a + to the G3 (I have 4 G3's). It will handle anything you can throw at it with a 12" swing. The best place I know for just the chuck is on the bay - search Nova G3 and they are available for $125 including insert and shipping. Nova's service center did have reconditioned for $75 but they have raised the price to $90 so it is about the same as new when you add the insert and shipping.
They also often have the SN2 refurbed for 100 (about 135 total) and it will handle more if you ever want to do larger hollowings.

Yea I thought That price went up I should have bought it when I first saw it for that

I have to give a + to the G3 (I have 4 G3's). It will handle anything you can throw at it with a 12" swing. The best place I know for just the chuck is on the bay - search Nova G3 and they are available for $125 including insert and shipping. Nova's service center did have reconditioned for $75 but they have raised the price to $90 so it is about the same as new when you add the insert and shipping.
They also often have the SN2 refurbed for 100 (about 135 total) and it will handle more if you ever want to do larger hollowings.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
The G3-D is made for Delta by Nova. I believe it is direct threaded like the Nova mini so you can not move it to a lathe with a different spindle other than 1X8. It will fit on any lathe with the correct thread. Given the cost and flexability I would go with the insert type G3.

Rob

New User
Rob
I have the Barracuda 2, it was my first chuck, It's an awesome chuck, and IMO the best value for the money as it comes with various size jaws, which you will purchase separatly with other chucks. It's a good first chuck. I do own 2 Vicmarcs, which IMO are the best chucks on the market, but they are pricey. The Barracuda 2 is a great first chuck.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
It is my understanding the original 1X8 inserts were not tapped on the hex for a set screw because no/few smaller lathes ran in reverse; only larger inserts were tapped.
The set screw in the hex achieves the same purpose of locking the chuck to the spindle.
With the new Deltas and Nova Comets (and I’m sure others) they now have the 1X8 inserts which are already tapped. Just make sure you ask for them, they are the same price.

manfre

New User
Manfre
The 1x8 insert sold at woodcraft has a single set screw. If anyone is thinking of heading up to the Raleigh woodcraft, you should call to see if they have the inserts in stock. I might have gotten the last one. ;)

uncledavid

New User
David
Hey folks,
Thank you all so much for your Comment/advice/information, I ended up going with the PENN [h=1]Barracuda2 T/N Plated Special Edition Lathe Key Chuck System[/h]
I hope it was the right choice. I got it on sale and had a $15.00 off coupon, now all I need to do, is to tell the wife before it gets here.....LOL....
thanks again everyone. David...

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Just another to consider I biought the wood river chuck and three sets of jaws an it has worked well for me I am a novice turner myself.

Thanks Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS