Latest work, a console table in curly cherry, designed in Sketchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
This is my latest completed piece. I started designing it a few months ago using Sketchup. One of the great things about Sketchup is the ability to tweak things, look from multiple viewpoints, re-tweak, and keep repeating the process until you are satisfied. That can all be done without drawing the joinery and other details. Once the design is finalized, then the joinery and construction details can be added. It actually saves a lot of time in the long run, as mistakes in the shop are minimized. In the case of this table, the compound angles of the legs are easily determined in Sketchup, and then brought to the shop, making machinery set up much easier, and more accurate.

This picture is a rendered Sketchup drawing:

Console Render.jpg

Here are photos of the completed table. I did change the length of the table a bit in the shop. The final dimensions are 60" x 12" x 29". The wood is curly cherry, and the finish is BioPoly NT from Earthpaint in Asheville, NC.

Console-2.jpgConsole-3.jpgConsole-4.jpgConsole-5.jpgConsole-7.jpgConsole-9.jpg

Questions, comments, and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for taking a look.

Matt

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Nice work. It is amazing how much your sketchup rendering looks like the actual project. Did you import the wood grain from the boards that you actually used? How stable is the table? Is it easy to tip over?

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Henry, thanks for the kind words. If you are ever down on the Crystal Coast, you are more than welcome to stop by.

Jeremy, I did not import the wood grain from the actual boards. I did find some great images of cherry boards on the web that I edited and used. Dave Richards has an excellent video on how to do this on the Design, Click, Build blog on FWW. The table is very stable, and is quite difficult to tip over. I had that in mind as I was designing it. The key is the footprint of the base. Since the table is only 12" wide, the base has to be nearly that wide where it contacts the floor. As I recall, the width of the base at the floor is just over 11". It takes a pretty large static load right at the edge of the top to tip it. There can be a more generous overhang on the length, since there is much more mass to assist with stability. I have dealt with this problem in several projects, and I think I have it pretty much figured out. Still, you never know until you actually build it. Another approach if there is any doubt is to build a scale model out of scrap, and it doesn't have to be full size, but just to scale. Then you can put little weights on it to test the stability. It's a great question, and thanks for asking.

Matt

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
VERY impressive Matt - Great rendering in Sketch-up and even better execution in "Real-life!"

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Another masterpiece! I love the angular design of this piece. I wish everyone could see how nice the BioPoly NT finish looks and feels. Your work is an inspiration to all. Will you have it in your shop for a while, or is it already gone?

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Great work! more incentive to learn SketchUp. Tell us more about the finish, I've never heard of BioPoly NT. How does it stack up against other finishes?

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Ernie,thanks for your kind words. Right now the table is in the house, but I will be taking it to Handscapes Gallery in Beaufort in a week or two.

John, the BioPoly is very low VOC, environmentally friendly finish that is primarily pine resin in a citrus based solvent. You wipe it on, then wipe it off. It's made by Earthpaint in Asheville. I have been using it for 5-6 years and really like it.

Matt

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Zach,

I truly appreciate your comments, although I am far from being a master. This design just seemed to come together in my head.I struggle with the design process. I'm glad you like it.

Matt

Man I love simple lines and complementary angles. You, my friend, are a master at it!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done Matt. It kind of looks like a mix of American contemporary and Danish. What were you thinking in coaxing this design out of your mind? Designing a piece is a fun exercise in its own right.

BioPoly NT is new to me but their link and technical data sheet is informative. The major components are refined linseed oil, pine rosin, and d-limonene (extracted from citrus fruit).

https://www.earthpaint.net/product_bioPoly_NT.php

http://www.earthpaint.net/PDF/TDS/NewestTDS/BioPolyNT.pdf

http://www.floridachemical.com/whatisd-limonene.htm

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Hi Matt. sorry for the delay in posting here. I've been away at SketchUp 3D Basecamp in Vail, CO. Just got back last night.

You've done an excellent job with both the render and the real thing. Beautiful work, indeed.

Only one suggestion, if I may, about your render. I would rotate the texture on the stretcher so it runs horizontally. ;)

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Dave, I knew that you would see that! I didn't realize it myself until a couple of days later, and I didn't want to go back and re-do it. At first glance it kind of looks like the curly cherry that I used in the table. So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Matt

Hi Matt. sorry for the delay in posting here. I've been away at SketchUp 3D Basecamp in Vail, CO. Just got back last night.

You've done an excellent job with both the render and the real thing. Beautiful work, indeed.

Only one suggestion, if I may, about your render. I would rotate the texture on the stretcher so it runs horizontally. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS