Corporate Member
101_4895.JPG

View image in gallery
101_4897.JPG

View image in gallery

10"D x 8"H - Maple & Cherry - 162 Pcs.

101_4921.JPG

View image in gallery

9"D x 5"H - Cherry, Maple, Sapele - 193 Pcs.

101_4926.JPG

View image in gallery
101_4928.JPG

View image in gallery
101_4930.JPG

View image in gallery

8"D x 15"H - Cherry & Sapele - 513 Pcs.

101_4933.JPG

View image in gallery
101_4935.JPG

View image in gallery

8"D x 16"H - Sapele, Yellowheart & Bloodwood - 565

Thanks for looking.
All comments welcome.​

gmc

New User
jr
Just Great, just starting in wood working. Hoping I can do 1/3 of what you have done. Again Great work.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Charlie, excellent pieces as always.

How did you get the rings into the segments on the third pictured piece?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Willem, After making up the main rings (Cherry), I split them in two on an angle using a jig for the bandsaw. I then glued them back together with a 1/8" sapele ring sandwiched between the two pieces.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Willem, After making up the main rings (Cherry), I split them in two on an angle using a jig for the bandsaw. I then glued them back together with a 1/8" sapele ring sandwiched between the two pieces.

Do you do it while its rough? And how do you handle the inside?

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Scott, The 16 individual rings which consist of 16 segments each, were glued up. Then each ring was split in two and glued back together with the 1/8" ring between the two pieces. Then the 16 rings were stacked as usual.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Scott, The 16 individual rings which consist of 16 segments each, were glued up. Then each ring was split in two and glued back together with the 1/8" ring between the two pieces. Then the 16 rings were stacked as usual.

Charlie, did you sand after the bandsaw cuts, and how?

Nelson

New User
Nelson
Charlie, I always look forward to your "Latest Turnings" posts. If you ever teach a class, sign me up.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks again for all the nice comments.

Willem, After cutting a ring in two, I reverse the two pieces top to bottom. I stick the two pieces back together with double face tape, being careful to keep the pieces aligned. This keeps the top and bottom parallel, but places the bandsawn cuts outside on top and bottom. Then I run the ring through the drum sander. The pieces are then separated, reversed back to original orientation and glued back together with the 1/8" ring sandwiched in between. I hope I have explained it OK.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Thanks again for all the nice comments.

Willem, After cutting a ring in two, I reverse the two pieces top to bottom. I stick the two pieces back together with double face tape, being careful to keep the pieces aligned. This keeps the top and bottom parallel, but places the bandsawn cuts outside on top and bottom. Then I run the ring through the drum sander. The pieces are then separated, reversed back to original orientation and glued back together with the 1/8" ring sandwiched in between. I hope I have explained it OK.

Very clever Charlie!

bobby g

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Thanks Bob. As I have stated before, I get most of my ideas from the net, but then I have to figured out how they did it. There is so much that I haven't figured out yet and I always like to try something "new".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS