Latest Turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
17"D x 12" H - Cherry, Maple, Zebrawood - 649 Pcs.
101_4221.JPG
View image in gallery
101_4223.JPG

View image in gallery
101_4226.JPG

View image in gallery

Thanks for looking. All comments welcome.​

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
My goodness Charlie! That is absolutely stunning! I am doubly impressed with you placing the maple between the cherry without losing grain continuity. Fabulous work.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Charlie,

This is outstanding!:icon_thum How did you get the maple strips in the cherry? It looks like the cherry sides were all cut from one board.

Steve H.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Rob and Steve,

Thank you for the compliments. I finally came up with my own design/shape/creation.

The 12 vertical segments and 12 horizontal segments are from the same board. I made a circle cutting jig for the bandsaw and made cuts with a 3/16" blade, which leaves a .040" kerf. I then cut/sanded strips of maple .040" thick. I made jigs to keep the cut segments and maple filler strips in alignment while gluing. The segments are made oversize and then dimensioned after glueup.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Geeeeeeeez, that is amazing. Absolutely beautiful. Keeping the grain pattern together makes the piece work perfectly. You really did an excellent job both designing and crafting it. I was surprised that it didn't have even more pieces than that, it looks so complex.

Bill B

meredj

Jesse
Corporate Member
Just WAY beyond my comprehension, to even try to figure out how you do something like that. Sorta like "here are your 400, 401k choices, please pick 3", it makes my head hurt ! :)

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Charlie,
The most significant compliment I believe there is for a woodturner is to become an artist. You, sir, are a true artist in my opinion. Wonderful creation!

DWSmith

New User
David
Trust me, the photos don't do the work justice. Stunning is to mild a word to use. I saw this one in person this past week and it is amazing!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Looks like you've graduated from genius to Master Genius !
Seriously, that one just screams Planning - Effort - Execution.
Congratulations!

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Holy cow, Charlie! Keeping track of the pieces so you can line up the grain has got to be nerve wracking. I gotta get back over to your shop just so I can be humbled and amazed again. (as soon as I finish the porch floor :BangHead:)

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Again, Thanks to everyone for the great comments.
Preston, give me a call anytime.
To everyone else, my shop is always open and I really enjoy visitors. Joe Scharle stopped by today for a few hours and we had a great time.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Very impressive! I have much to learn, and feel like I'm in the right place to learn from many on here. Thanks for sharing your creativity! Not only is it amazing, it is also inspiring!

rbizieff

New User
Robert
Wow Charlie! Your artwork continues to get more and more intricate each time! I'm continually amazed at the detail you throw into these, and the beauty that comes of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors