latest project - turned mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
Over at Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers we have been honing our turning skills. Thought I share my project: a turned mallet with a celtic (sort of) cross in handle and decorative scallops.

The handle is walnut with oak cross and ambrosia maple mallet with mahogony decorative scallops. Here's the pics of the steps along the way.

First glue up the walnut for handle and cut the first of 4 cuts for the celtic cross. Notice side #1 is on top - used a 45 degree miter sled with a 1/4" dado blade set to go almost all the way thru the handle:
IMG_4910w.jpg

View image in gallery

Second, glue and clamp the 1/4" oak piece in the slot (note side #2 is up):

Third, after flush trimming the first insert, I cut, then glue the insert in the opposite side (note side #1 is now up):

Fourth, repeat cut, glue, clamp, trim on side #3 then #4:

Here is the final glued up handle:

Next, I glued on the maple mallet face to the handle. Then I decided to put some scallops along the top of the mallet. For this I used the same concept as the celtic cross, except I set the blade at 25 degrees and only went an inch or so into the wood. Enough that each side crossed the one next to it (kind of like the top part of the cross only):

Finally, I glues in the mahogony inserts for the scallops on the 2 opposite sides. Once dry, I did the other 2 sides:

Next, I chucked it up on the lathe (Thanks WoodArtz!) and turned it down to a mallet shape. In retrospect, I woould have used ash or beech instead of oak in the handle, we had to wrestle with some tear-out:

And here is the final result: A mallet too pretty to use!

It was a lot of fun and a good learning experience! Great time with the Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers!

Thanks for looking!
Dan

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wow! :eek: Nice work Dan! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'd have to be pretty angry to wack anything with that mallet. :gar-La; WAYYYYYY too nice looking. :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
DOUBLE WOW!!!! Dan that mallet looks too god to use. Nice job. So will there be a lathe in your future?

eyekode

New User
Salem
Very cool! I have been wanting to put a celtic knot in one of my turning tools handles but never got around to it.This may push me over the edge :).
Salem

T

toolferone

Very cool! That is a lot of work just to go and beat up on it. Still, it is cool.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Great job!

Having seen the Mallet in progress, what a well thought out and executed effort.

Here is a little video shot during the Meetup.

[YOUTUBE]q53AUxZsoNY[/YOUTUBE]

Jim

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Wow, that is gorgeous! I've always wanted to try a Celtic knot.

The engineer in me has a question- In the process of making the knot, you cut almost through the handle stock at a fairly steep 45 deg. so that when you glue in the knot pieces it is closer to two butt joints for each piece than it is scarf joints. Doesn't that substantially weaken the handle? Have you done a torture test on one? What kind of glue are you using?

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
Wow, that is gorgeous! I've always wanted to try a Celtic knot.

The engineer in me has a question- In the process of making the knot, you cut almost through the handle stock at a fairly steep 45 deg. so that when you glue in the knot pieces it is closer to two butt joints for each piece than it is scarf joints. Doesn't that substantially weaken the handle? Have you done a torture test on one? What kind of glue are you using?

Alan,
Sorry no torture test, only made the one and didn't want to break it just to test it. But I was concerned about the weakness in handle, but I knew I wasn't planning on using it very hard. As it "turned" out, the length and curve of the handle make it easiest to grab just above the knot, so it won't stress it too much anyway.

Probably would have been better to do 60 degree cuts, but the would make the ends of the knots even bigger too. But probably would look fine and would likely be a stronger joint.

I used CA glue. I wanted something that would set up quick as I was in a hurry to do the glue up. I am not that familiar with glues to know whether I should have used epoxy or waited the longer time for Titebond II to set up.

Dan

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Dan that is a sweet piece of work!
I got BA down in the shop this past weekend for a bit and made a couple of
"whackers". Nothing like this but we're not done yet! What a super project to show various skills in just making a blank, then winding up with a sweet shop made tool.
Thanks for sharing~

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan,
Sorry no torture test, only made the one and didn't want to break it just to test it. But I was concerned about the weakness in handle, but I knew I wasn't planning on using it very hard. As it "turned" out, the length and curve of the handle make it easiest to grab just above the knot, so it won't stress it too much anyway.

Dan

Thanks. I guess something that nice is better left for display- it would be a shame to use it to wail away on some chisel handle! :swoon:

If I make one, maybe I'll try to bore out the handle and insert a steel rod in some epoxy or something. Again, beautiful job!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If strength is a concern the knot would be better near the end of the handle where less stress would be encountered. I would not trust end grain glue up for a pounding tool. Personally, I think the decoration would look better and be more appropriate at the extremes as opposed to the center.

I'm certainly not of the tools should be placed on a shelf to be seen and not used group.

Nice work by the way. :icon_thum

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Dan that looks great~!

I had fun making a celtic knot on a couple pens using a Band saw. And love the way it looks.

Now to try something a little larger like you mallet~! Oh yeah~!

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Beautiful work Dan! :eusa_clap:icon_thum:eusa_clap:icon_thum

How big is the walnut handle blank? Looks like about 2" x 2" in the photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors