Latest Project - Headboard

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
I've completed my latest project - a headboard for my mother as a gift. She's only asked for a couple of years now! She wanted it white, so I used poplar. Instead of gluing up the posts and rails that were 2" thick by 4" wide, I used 12/4 stock and was able to re-saw a bit off to use elsewhere. I created the panels with poplar and some quarter inch maple ply that I had on hand. The joinery was tongue and groove all done on the table saw.

IMG_4234.jpg

I dadoed the large top and bottom rails (4 inch wide ones) and glued the panel into them.

IMG_4262.jpg

As you can see above and below, I used floating/loose tenon joinery to join the rails and posts. I ended up using a double tenon, each at 3/8". I mortised each piece with a router and edge guide. This was my first attempt at this type of joinery. It did not go well. As you can see, I routed passed my lines. I even began my plunge on the wrong side of my layout line during one cut. hahaha. I knew I had a bit of wiggle room based on my layout and size of the tenons, but it was still embarrassing! I definitely learned some things and may try to build a jig for next time.

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

I attached the top cap with biscuits mainly for alignment. The top cap was 3" wide while the rail was 2", so I figured the glue surface was enough to hold well. I added a bit of trim under the top cap made on my router table, and then added a bead molding to the panels. I think I would have done the panel to post joinery a bit different, but since it was painted I could fix a few errors! My wife finished the project with General Finishes White Enduro Poly. This stuff is great. After primer - two coats and with this product the color and topcoat are finished. She sprays with a Fuji three stage. I've learned quite a bit on here, so the fact the project is finished can be attributed to all of your contributions...so thank you for your help!

After primer...
IMG_4280.jpg

After second coat of enduro white poly...
IMG_4281.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Lee nicely done. Thanks for the write-up.

If I understand you correctly, you mentioned gluing in the panels - which I think are conventionally left to float (for real wood); plywood panels I am uncertain of.

I too am working right now on long awaited project for my patient wife - a full bed, starting with headboard. I too used loose tenon joinery, but I won't be showing closeups. I cut the mortises on a horizontal router table and find that the more I use this method the better it works. My imprecision comes in making the tenons - which I often sand-to-fit on my belt/disc sander. I should just machine (plane) a longer piece to the right thickness, then router the roundovers, but often have used up scrap for tenons and then sand them - which is where I get the imprecision.

I just glued up the headboard this afternoon, ... pics will eventually be found on this site.

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
Hey Lee nicely done. Thanks for the write-up.

If I understand you correctly, you mentioned gluing in the panels - which I think are conventionally left to float (for real wood); plywood panels I am uncertain of.

I too am working right now on long awaited project for my patient wife - a full bed, starting with headboard. I too used loose tenon joinery, but I won't be showing closeups. I cut the mortises on a horizontal router table and find that the more I use this method the better it works. My imprecision comes in making the tenons - which I often sand-to-fit on my belt/disc sander. I should just machine (plane) a longer piece to the right thickness, then router the roundovers, but often have used up scrap for tenons and then sand them - which is where I get the imprecision.

I just glued up the headboard this afternoon, ... pics will eventually be found on this site.

I used plywood panels, so I ran a small bead in the groove on two sides. I machined one long piece and rounded them over for my tenons. It worked well. I can't wait to see the pics.

Plunkett

Lee
Senior User
Lee, what method are you using to attach the bed rails to the headboard?

Roy G

My mom is just using a metal frame for this bed, so I'll attach those to the legs of the headboard. If I was going to do it, I'd probably try this type of hardware and method...not sure if I could do it successfully though!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Nicely done Lee, I enjoyed the write up. I can't name one project I've made that didn't have a few "oh shoot!" moments, but yours still came out great. Also remember woodworking adds years to your life, if I complete all the promised projects I'm living to 150.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member

Here's the glued up headboard, mahogany frame and maple panel; still needs a final sanding and a finish. I am as yet undecided on what finish I am going to use.

Question - Is the color in the maple panel
- mineral staining,
- ambrosia (I don't think so), or
- spalting
- other cause I am unaware of?
Bed headboard glued up IMG_20200103_182942535.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS