Latest Project from Less than Perfect Board

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Here are some shots of a completed set of nightstands inspired by a board that just begged to be rescued. The entire project is walnut, and was made to compliment a bed made earlier this year. Learning to pour the epoxy was quite a challenge but I'm happy with the results on the table tops. IMG_9517.JPGIMG_9652.JPGIMG_9649.JPGIMG_9650.JPGIMG_9651.JPGIMG_9645.JPGIMG_9646.JPGIMG_9648.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9647.JPG
    IMG_9647.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 178

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Nice work! Epoxy is fun stuff. Here's one I did a few months ago. . .

Attachments

• River Table 1.jpg
    River Table 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 137
  • River Table 2.jpg
    River Table 2.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 137

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I did make the pulls out of the same walnut. They were not too hard as long as you make a jig to hold them for the cuts. The half rounds were made with a couple of passes on the router table with a jig to hold them in place. The pieces were fit into a slot in the jig that supported front back and top so the piece would not move going over the router. The side angles were cut on a table saw set at 22.5 degrees. Again, I held them in place with a Fritz and Franz jig on my Hammer slider saw. That jig essentially lets you clamp the piece in place while moving through the blade. No fingers anywhere close to a moving blade!

The epoxy I used was Ecopoxy which is much thinner (lower viscosity) product than most. The set up times are also much longer, but air bubbles are not a problem as they have plenty of time to rise and get out. The downside of this product is that the lower viscosity makes it harder to keep the pigment from settling to the bottom so you have to stir every hour for several hours. Also, dust particles become more of a factor so in my case I covered the project. I did still have some dust get into the top requiring touch up. My 1/2 inch deep gaps were filled in two pours but could have been done in one with Ecopoxy. Other types that I have tried must be shallow pours, and bubbles have always plagued me even with using a torch to pop them. I have found that sealing all wood surfaces with a thin coat of clear that I brush on (and using a thick epoxy like West Systems, then using the other product produces the least bubble issues. My shop is in a basement so always cool for this kind of work.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Making those pulls appears to be just as big of a pain as I thought it might be. There's no question that the end result is a detail that really works and is clearly worth the extra effort.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS