Latest Project finished (phase 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
After several marathon shop sessions last week, I finished the play kitchen stove for my niece and nephew. Gave to them over Thanksgiving. Not sure if they or my sister-in-law liked it more! Thanks to all of the NCWWers who helped along the way!

Here's the details...
made from beech (awesome wood to work - thanks Russ Denz!) and walnut accents, pieced together and planed down (thanks Scott Smith for the use of the wide planer!). Finish is 2 coats of water based Poly. Buttons are walnut with a spring behind them (thanks WoodArtz for the turning help). Stove dials turn (thanks Froglips for helping find the dials) and the timer works too.

Here's the concept and finished product...

Play_Kitchen_Stove.jpg

View image in gallery

Stove_3014.jpg

View image in gallery

some of the details...

Stove_Burners_3010.jpg

View image in gallery

Stove_MW_3011.JPG

View image in gallery

Stove_Oven_3013.JPG

View image in gallery

And one happy customer... priceless!

Now I need to finish the matching sink and refrigerator by Christmas! :swoon:

Enjoy the pics!

Dan

M

McRabbet

Excellent design and execution, Dan! I like how you used KD Bolts to pull the pieces together and your very cool numbers and knobs for the kids. Clever use of wire shelving, too! The kids are going to love it -- looking forward to the next installments!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow:eek: are the stove eyes inlays or painted on? Beautiful work :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
I hope it doesn't end up like the one I made for my daughter. It has stickers and marker scribbling all over it. That would be such a shame on such a nice solid wood piece like yours.

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That is a very special, well-designed gift.

More importantly it looks like she loves it. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I like the wire racks and the knobs...and the burners too. The solid wood give it a unique look.

I bet they are the only kids on the block with a custom stove!

Chuck

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
The stove burners (and oven elements) are painted on. I was going to try inlay, but I ran out of time.

Dan

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Dan, you have outdone yourself! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I've seen this project during some of its step. The amount of ingenuity and the little details that you put into this just amaze me.

Then, to put the icing on the cake, the finished piece is just excellent!

I hope you feel as much pride as your niece does excitement at her new cook center!

Inquiring minds wanna know, how did you end up doing the button numbers?

Jim

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Very very cool. I made a kitchen set years ago but nothing like that. Great job.

Red

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Wow, talk about an heirloom! That is truly a very special gift. Those kids are lucky to have such a great uncle.

Matt

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
regarding the button numbers, time is a brutal enemy. I was going to try a number of ideas, but in the end, I glued on some stencils and topcoated with poly several times.

Dan

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Man that totally Rocks~! You sure do some beautiful work~!

I think I need to build something similar for my Son, Maybe a workbench~!

Ahh He's only 11 months, it can wait a little while

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Awesome job!

I saw, live, the WIP at the shop crawl, and it looked neat unfinished without the detail.

The pics look amazing, so I can only imagine what it looks like up close and personal.

Great job. I know you feel proud!

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors