Latest project completed - UPDATED

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Jean and I completed this foyer table for our home recently. The sides are 3/4" Baltic birch pw veneered with Pau Ferro (this is the finishing headache that we suffered with for a while). The interior skeleton was also made from 3/4" BB. This fits into dadoes in the side panels to form a torsion box type of construction. The "black" panels were made from 3/8" thick bendable plywood which fit into rabbets along the curvatures in the side panels. We ended up using GF High Performance water based top coat on the sides and top to avoid the drying problems we were having with the GF oil finishes on the Pau Ferro (even after thoroughly wiping with acetone). the bendable plywood was finished wit GF lamp black milk paint and GF Flat Out Flat top coat. The table base is 34"high, about 34" wide and 8" deep. The top is piece of 1/2" tempered glass, 15" X 50".
Thanks for looking.
Bob and Jean.

foyer table f.jpgfoyer table top.jpgfoyer table.jpgIMG_1552.jpgIMG_1553.jpgIMG_1585.jpgIMG_1588.jpgIMG_1598.jpgIMG_1599.jpgIMG_1601.jpgIMG_1602.jpgIMG_1603.jpgIMG_1604.jpgIMG_1607.jpg

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, beautiful. The only place that rivals your shop is your house!

What inspired the design?

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
That's beautiful work, Bob. Thanks for all of the photos showing the process. Most folks do not realize all of the work that is required making jigs, clamping fixtures, etc. that is required to make a seemingly simple form. The "behind the scenes" look shows off the process well.

Matt

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A nice big "J" in the Foyer!
I got to see a little of this in process (thank GOD I wasn't there for the finishing issues) but what a creative team!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As usual Bob, your craftsmanship is excellent and your designs are always unique. Glad to see you back in the shop and making things.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bob, I am really glad that you are back on the site and posting your beautiful creations. This particular project is both beautifully built and visually interesting! Also, thank you for posting all of the pics of the work in progress.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hmmm that looks even better 'in the whole' than it did in pieces when I saw saw some of it awhile back.
Great team effort Jean and Bob!

When you're 'done' furnishing that beautiful home of yours, I suspect you could find many other places to furnish. I'll even offer my place to store finished pieces! ;) :D

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Wow, beautiful. The only place that rivals your shop is your house!

What inspired the design?

Thanks Bas.
We had been talking about replacing the very formal looking piece that was in the foyer for a long time; one year maybe? So then about 3-4 months ago we searched for images of foyer tables on the internet and we selected a few "likes" after looking at probably hundreds. They all had a pedestal or base of some kind. We liked the following one best:
foyer table 5.jpg

Jean sketched up a variation of this but neither of us really were excited about it. I remember so clearly that she turned over the paper and sketched the one that we ended up building. Here's a photo of the scale model that I made from the sketch. Jean's ability to visualize is just amazing to me! Note that it's upside down from the final configuration. The pedestal type base is present and the 2 uprights became 1.

foyer table model 1.jpg

We put it to rest and came back to it in a few days and I set it back up in the final configuration by accident... maybe? We began work on it still not knowing which way it would end up, had friends cast their ballots and chose it to be in the letter J configuration.
foyer table model.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing the evolution of the design, it makes it all the more interesting!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS