Latest Intarsia Project completed

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hot out of the shop. Design by Judy Gale Roberts. I used aspen, walnut, maple, poplar and western cedar. I finished the aspen with a satin water based poly to help keep it white. The rest was finished with a gel poly.

completed intarsia cross for Pam.jpg

ssmith

New User
Scott
Great use of different woods to get that effect. Very nice! Did you carve the bird, or use a CNC or something?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great use of different woods to get that effect. Very nice! Did you carve the bird, or use a CNC or something?
The entire project is cut on a scroll saw. The dove is actually 7 separate pieces. The pieces are shaped and contoured by sanding using sand sleeves mounted on a bench grinder. The detailing of the feathers is done with something called a wonder wheel. That is a fiber wheel mounted also mounted on a bench grind.

ssmith

New User
Scott
The entire project is cut on a scroll saw. The dove is actually 7 separate pieces. The pieces are shaped and contoured by sanding using sand sleeves mounted on a bench grinder. The detailing of the feathers is done with something called a wonder wheel. That is a fiber wheel mounted also mounted on a bench grind.
Never explored that type of woodworking, and your post (and others here) constantly open my eyes to what's possible given the talent and tools. Thanks!

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
That looks great! Never tried intarsia, but keep telling myself I’m going to try it . . . along with carving, pyrography, model building, etc. Maybe my wife’s right and I lack any meaningful attention span.

cskipper

Cathy
That's beautiful! I used to be able find Aspen at the Lowes in Greer, although haven't been there to look in a number of years. Thanks for the tip on the satin water based poly - is there a particular brand/location to buy it?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's beautiful! I used to be able find Aspen at the Lowes in Greer, although haven't been there to look in a number of years. Thanks for the tip on the satin water based poly - is there a particular brand/location to buy it?
I am using the General Finishes High Performance Satin. I get it from Klingspor.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS