Latest Harpsichords

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
HI all,

Thought I would post some pictures of harpsichords I've built in 2019.

The first is an instrument of my own design. It is meant for people who have no need for an instrument with all the bells and whistles. It is only 5' long and has 49 notes with a single string per note, along with a buff stop (a device that makes the instrument sound more like a guitar or lute). It's the first instrument I've made with screw-on legs and is much more stable than I thought it would be. It has a simple, two color paint scheme done with oil based paint from Old Village Paint Co. This is, by far, the best paint I have ever used. Although a bit pricier that some others, it goes on smooth and covers beautifully with a single coat over primed wood. It dries relatively quickly and sands to a powder beautifully. I have no relationship to this company other than being a very satisfied customer. Unfortunately, I don't have any sound files for it...yet!

20191005_140220.jpg

20191021_193719.jpg

The second instrument is a Flemish single manual based on the 1640 harpsichord by Andreas Ruckers. It is 6' long and has 58 notes with two strings per note (one 8' string and
one 4' string), and a buff stop. It sits on a turned 7 leg stand of Sapele. The Oriental design, painted by my wife Sandy, has proven to be quite popular in the past several years.

IMG_4411.JPG

harp.jpg

Fortunately, the kind folks at the Harpsichord Clearing House decided to make a video (with sound) for their website. If you'd like to hear this instrument, here's a link to that YouTube video .

Thanks for looking.
Ernie

Hjanes

Harlan
User
Pleased to see you and Sandy are still making these classics. Have you kept count of the total?
Harlan

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Absolutely beautiful. I have seen several of Ernie and Sandy's harpsichords in person and pictures do not do them justice. The craftsmanship and attention to detail is unbelievable.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Ernie, you and Sandy are a great team; your combined craftsmanship/artistry will bring joy for generations to come! Thank you for sharing.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Beautiful Ernie, My bother has the one I made and refuses to give it back, I guess I ll need to pick your brain to make another ........... :) ............ awesome work

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS