Latest Harpsichord Finished - Sapele and Chinoiserie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Outstanding. The part I like the most is your name above the keyboard. Someday your harpsichords will be along side the other masters. Thanks for sharing

nelsone

New User
Ed
That may have been some firsts for you both, but I hope not the last! That is a beautiful instrument!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Well it's about time you did something challenging! I mean, let's face it, once you've built 2 or 3 of "regular" harpsichords it's pretty much on auto pilot. Sure, there's fitting lots of small pieces and large casework and internal stresses and yes, it does need to sound right, and be beautifully decorated, but that's about it! :rolf:

OK, now that the obligatory smartass remarks are out of the way (BTW - make sure you're really smart before you do that, otherwise you're just an ###): Outstanding work Ernie. I can't say I like it more or less than any of your other pieces of musical art, but I do know I really like it! Gorgeous looking wood.

As for your wife having no talent...she puts up with you AND creates something that spectacular? Let me put it this way: If someone bought it and discovered that the thing doesn't actually play (dummy keyboard), I still don't think they'd be disappointed!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
As for your wife having no talent...she puts up with you AND creates something that spectacular? Let me put it this way: If someone bought it and discovered that the thing doesn't actually play (dummy keyboard), I still don't think they'd be disappointed!

I once sold a rather expensive, large harpsichord to a person who lives in a 20,000 sq. ft. mansion in Texas. Actually, her interior decorator bought it - she liked the color. I doubt the instrument has ever been played. You never know what will appeal to people.

As for the LOML, she's been putting up with me for 47 years - I guess she's used to the abuse.:)

Newboy

George
User
I just finished a desk, and was going to post it, but after seeing this, I am ashamed.

You, sir, have elevated the bar too high for me!

A truly beautiful piece!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I just finished a desk, and was going to post it, but after seeing this, I am ashamed.

You, sir, have elevated the bar too high for me!

A truly beautiful piece!

George,

That's very nice of you to say and I appreciate it. However, please keep in mind that I'm an old coot who has been building these instruments for 30 years. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to build half of the pieces I see here on NCWW, perhaps even the desk you wanted to post. The point is we're all here to learn from one another - no matter how high or low we may think our skill levels are. There are better harpsichord builders in this world than me, and I'm always learning new things from them. There may well be better furniture makers than you, but you have to throw your hat into the ring and learn from them too.
In short: POST THOSE PICTURES!

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors